1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7' 6" Plow on TJ

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by P&M Landscaping, Nov 29, 2008.

1. P&M Landscaping

P&M Landscaping Senior Member

I'm looking at a steel 7'5" meyer plow for my jeep TJ. I can get it for a deal, but my only concern is a weight issue... any thoughts?

2. tjthorson

tjthorson Senior Member
    from IL

Not sure how much the meyer weighs. But, i love my 7'6" Sno-Way - with the downpressure, it scrapes and plows like a "big boy" truck.... ;) Its right around 425 total, with a poly scraper.

i always use Air-lift 1000 airbags in the front coils. They are inexpensive, easy to install, and work great.

I dont have any pics yet with the plow on my new unlimited rubicon TJ... here was my plow on my old TJ....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  3. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

What engine is in the TJ? The 6cyl is not a light weight engine and the D30 front axle has a rather low GAWR.So I am thinking the all steel plow might exceed the GAWR.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ive used Fisher 7 1/2 RD plows with my Jeeps for 20 years. Add air shocks and weight to the back. and your good to go.

5. P&M Landscaping

I have only the 4 cyl... It's a meyer style with the hoop from for only $600 My only concern is it being way too much plow for my Jeep..

6. theplowmeister

from MA

You will be fine.

7. P&M Landscaping

What does an airlift suspension run?

8. cj5

cj5 Junior Member

Are the Air lift bags easy to install?? I read the directions for the install from the other thread.
    Can you just use a spring compressor to pull the coil spring, insert the bag and drill the
    hole for the air line with out doing any other disassembly of the front end?

Paul

9. tjthorson

tjthorson Senior Member
    from IL

Yes. You can disconnect the shocks, and trac-bar. That gives you enough axle droop to just pull out the springs. You then drill a 3/4" hole in the bottom of the spring perch. (I actually only drilled 1/2" holes - the directions said 3/4" though. Never had an issue.

Then, reassemble, zip tie your airlines for the bags and air them up!

You also replace the small round bump stop with a larger round one that comes with the bags. Its easy.

They are about $80 / pair.

10. provfirescott

provfirescott Senior Member
    from Ma

A friends Jeep

[​IMG]

11. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

my snoway dealer is going to install timbrins on my jeep free of charge when i buy the plow from him, you think those are better than air bags? and how much weight do you think i should put in the back of my jeep???

12. tjthorson

tjthorson Senior Member
    from IL

Timbrens are nice - and MUCH more expensive then the airbags. I have heard that the Timbrens stiffen up the ride on the jeep when you dont have the plow on....The airbags dont effect the ride at all when the front isnt loaded....

If anything - you can pull the timbrens and sell them - put in airlift bags and have money left over. ;)

I wouldnt put ANY weight in the back until you see how it plows. I never had to add any weight - and I plow fine.... Guess it would depend on how wet - and how deep the snow is though. I am usually doing driveways with 8" or less at a time....

13. theplowmeister

from MA

Id add weight, the plow manufacturers dont say to add because it puts you over the GRVW. With the plow on the front the jeep becomes SO front heavy it handles funny and the rears lockup when you just think about stopping. #200 in the back and it balances a lot better. I also prefer air shocks in the front over air bags I think they work better and easier to install (just replace the shocks.... done) I've had both.

14. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

My snoway dealer throws in timbrins for free, if i buy my plow new through him...he's the only snoway dealer around here. Ill prob add 200 to the back just to keep everything even.
    TJthorson, what are you plowing drives with?

15. hillbillydeluxe

hillbillydeluxe Senior Member

Sorry my bad

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008