1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.6 or 8' Not exactly sure whats your opinion?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bigstumpyd, Oct 16, 2012.

1. bigstumpyd

bigstumpyd Junior Member

Well here my situation. I bought all new Boss Equipment last year and plowed twice! I have picked up 2 lots and need a little input on where to go from here. One lot is pretty much all gravel and really do not want to put my new boss on it the other is asphalt both pretty flat. I have a 88 F-350 DRW Dump truck 2wd. I went to a local dealer and he says its not a big deal to run a 7.6 especially for my 2nd truck. I have always heard you need at least 8' even 8.5' better. My truck is really nice and dont want to sell to buy someones junk!
    Sorry long winded but wanted you to have all the input thanks
  2. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

That is not long at all!

Go with 8' you will be happy you did.
  3. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I run a 9 on my extended cab drw and its not wide enough when the plow is angled and you are turning the truck some. Added wings so the plow is now 11 ft and all is good.
  4. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I can understand not wanting to mess up a new blade. By the time you get another truck up and going just for a gravel lot you could just beat up a new Boss and have the front redone at the end of the year. Also with running an older truck like the 88 it is likely that at some point it will break and you'll need to run a new Boss on the lot anyways.
  5. bigstumpyd

bigstumpyd Junior Member

I am also to the point where I need another truck so I have to get one either way. I plow 7 accts now plus the two additional. It is not just for that lot but thats where I would send it since I have 3-4 pretty flat accts that a 2wd would have no problem at. What about a 7.6 with wings? Do they sell wings for most plows since im going used?
  6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Most sell wings. Not sure if 9 ft 6 (7 ft 6 plus wings) will do it. Depends on your wheelbase. Most mftrs sell a type of wing but they are not cheap. You can also look at buyers wings - less than 200 bucks but not as sturdy or able to take the pounding of curbs and or a wrong driver.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Battle scars are cool on a plow.Makes you stand out from the weekend plow jockey!
  8. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I run a 7'6" with Buyer pro wings. It plows 9 ft. I like the rubber edge on the wings since they tend to ride over grass along the edge of driveways. They also come off easy, by pulling 3 pins on each wing when I need to.
  9. bigstumpyd

bigstumpyd Junior Member

I guess the buyers wings will fit all makes or plow specific? Any welding required or bolt on? My rear width outside of tire to outside is 7'8. Thanks again for everyone's input!
  10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

7'6" plows are way to light. Go with a decent quality plow and put some wings on it
  11. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

I would go with the 8 footer you will be much more happier at then end of a long storm. Thumbs Up
  12. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

No welding required all drill and bolt on. They are not recomended for a poly plow but know of some that have them on there. My plow width with the wings is 9'1"