1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.6 ft or 8 ft?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by northcountry, Jan 19, 2008.

1. northcountry

northcountry Junior Member

I have a 1989 3/4 ton chevy extra cab longbed 4x4 and am wondering which plow to buy. The 7.6 rd or the 8 ft hd are both very close in price. I am going to plow my driveway and several neighbors. I will be mainly plowing average sized driveways and parking areas, no huge parking lots. Is the 7.6 much easier to get around in tight places? Or is the 8 ft. blade the way to go? Is the extra weight an issue with the front end? Just not sure, but I am sold on the Fisher. We do get a lot of deep and wet snow where I live.
    Thanks for any input.
  2. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

I asked the same question before i got mine. 7'6" or 8'. I went with the 8 and am so glad i did. It has not been a problem with any tight places or anything like that. i have 1 driveway that it barely squeezes through the gate.

JRKRACE Senior Member

8 Ft. Take it from a guy who has a 7.5. Get the 8ft.
  4. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I have a 7-6 on a 1/2 ton. Go bigger
  5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

On a 3/4 the minimum you'll want is an 8' plow. I ran a 7'6" on a 3/4 because it's what I transferred from a previous truck, but the 8 makes everything much easier. If there's a place you can't get an 8' plow into, there's no need to be plowing it with a truck!
  6. northcountry

northcountry Junior Member

I apreciate the input. I'll get the 8 ft.
  7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I've never understood the people that want to put 10' plows on a Tacoma, but I've always been a step behind the reasonable length of blade. My 1-ton pickup has an 8' Fisher, and now I'm really wishing it had a 8.5 or 9'. Oh well... next time! I might trade up with the current truck, but we'll see

Good choice on the 8' for you

8. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Definetly the 8 footer. My 7.6 days are over. :rolleyes:
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Where my dad works, they have an 03 2500HD 6.0 with the 7.5ft RD and sometimes i'll go over there with my truck with the 8ft blade and its amazing how much that 6 extra inches makes a difference. I get about 30-40% more done with my truck than the other one, mainly because i have that extra three inches on either side so i can get closer to things with the truck than he can....8ft on your truck for sure!!
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Full size truck needs a full size plow get the 8.+ footer.
    If you get the 7 footer you will be wishing you got the 8 footer.
  11. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I don't see how a 8' could be 40% faster than a 7.5'. After all its only 3" on each side. I have an old Speedcast 7'6" with a Sno-Foil on it. What I have noticed is it doesn't windrow well. I can't seem to take even 1/2 a blade without it spilling over the leading edge. When windrowing to the drivers side I line up the drivers side headlight up with the last windrow. If I take a bigger bite it spills over. That being said I am planning on replacing just my blade with a bigger one. I have found a 8 footer which I believe is 29" tall for $500 for the hole setup. I need to go look at it and make sure it will mount to my truck side. If so I will buy and have some spare parts as well. Then I will add some Danger Wing to it.

So with that said I would not go with anything less than an 8 footer for sure.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  12. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Absolutly, I have two 7.5' fishers and I want to find 8' blades too replace them.

I find with a 7.5' blade (and smaller) that when the blade is fully angled when plowing roads that the side of the truck is getting body damage along the bottom of the body from being up against the snow bank more.

Each spring I end up knocking out the dent in my passenger side door.
  13. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Industry standard the way I see it.

1/4 ton- 6.5'
    1/2 ton- 7.5'
    3/4 ton- 8'
    1 ton- 9'
  14. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

8' all the way. You'll be very happy.
  15. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

an 8 footer is more efficient because at lock (full angle) the blade will clear the snow in front of the tires where as a 7'6" will not on a full size truck. If you have a DRW you need a minimum of 8'6, better for 9' for the same reason.

Now, bearing in mind you have a looooong truck, the turning radius dictates you need a longer blade- 8 foot is minimum.
  16. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

Bigger is better!!!