1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.6 blizzard on f250

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by wannabeplowing, Apr 19, 2008.

1. wannabeplowing

wannabeplowing Senior Member

I am looking at buying a truck and it just happens to come with a 7.6 blizzard plow. The truck is a 96 f250 SRW. I was just wondering if I did decide to use the plow and got the proper insurance would that plow be "big" enough or would it not be wide enought to clear a path the entire width of the truck? The guy only used it to plow his driveway so I was wondering if this plow would work or if an 8 footer would be better?

2. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

I'm sure it would work, it'd probably just clear enough to clear the wheelbase.

The plow on my truck, (a 7 and a half-footer) barely clears the width of the wheelbase,.so I know what you mean.

If I could, I'd update my truck with a bigger plow once I got 'er running.

3. wannabeplowing

yeah I'm just worried about it not clearing the wheelbase. If I am able to get it and seriously consider doing some plowing I might look to upgrade it to an 8 footer.

4. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

If ya get enough business or places to plow, I'd definatly upgrade to a bigger plow.

Again, I wish I could...mine's just so dang old I don't think I'll find a bigger plow.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

7'6" would work just fine it will just seem tiny. The smallest plow ive used is an 8' and that seems small to me. I learned to plow with a 9'6" V plow so i guess anything under 9' seems small. If you do upgrade plows I would go bigger than 8' I would go 8'6" or 9'. Ive never come across a situation where a 9' plow is too big.

6. wannabeplowing

Ok so the 7'6" would work fine, but if I was to really get into plowing upgrading to a bigger plow would be a good idea? That is kind of what I was thinking but wanted to check with the experts first.

7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

What you could do is plow one winter with the 7'6" blade and if you feel the need to go bigger than upgrade. A lot of guys plow commercially with 7'6" blades but you know what they say "time is money".

8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

If you get enough work to need the bigger plow I would upgrade...other wise the 7'6" plow will work just fine!

9. wannabeplowing

Thanks for all of the good advice. If I can make this truck work (aka get financing) I will stick with the 7'6" since I would be new to the plowing thing, so maybe a smaller blade would be good for starters. I am thinking of sub contracting to start since I don't have much plow experience and then possibly go independent at some point in time and adding mowing in the summer.

10. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i will just clear the wheel base but it will be fine...i mean its on there no need to go bigger, make some money this year and then sell that blizzard and get a western lol 8'-8'6''

11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

With the indepent front end the older F-250 have. You defently want the 7.6 for weight. Otherwise you will be rebuilding the front end every year or having it snap in half.