1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.5 Western Pro Trips...Advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJL, Jan 30, 2004.

1. DJL

DJL Senior Member

One of the accounts that I have has two manhole covers that can really send a wake-up call if you forget about them. It kinda stinks because they are in the middle of the lot, not off to the side. When I have to push snow over the covers I attempt to get as close as possible to the covers, raise the plow an inch or so, drive forward, float the plow again, and move on.

Sometimes I misjudge the location of the covers and I hit the lip of the manhole and the plow starts to trip. I immediately apply the brakes. I do not really plow over 10 MPH so it's not like I'm going really fast and slam on the brakes. However, the plow is already partially tripped. What I do is hit the up button on the cab control. My concern is the motor sounds like its straining (just a little) and then the plow suddenly "pops" back up. My truck shakes a little after the plow pops up.

My question is this:

Should I not being doing this? Am I damaging the pump by putting a strain on it? Should I just continue through the trip and have the plow's trip mechanism do its thing? Or, should I shift into reverse and back off? I figured this would be bad for the transmission, but again if I'm stopped maybe it won't??? Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

FYI, I have a Western 7.5' Pro Plow with the ultra mount. It has four trip springs and a shock to help with the plow slamming back after tripping. Yes, I adjust the springs every year. Also, my truck is a Chevy 2500HD, 4x4, ext. cab, SB, with the 8.1L gas engine.

2. H & L Imp

H & L Imp Junior Member

tripping

I say back it up, the electric motor on the pump will thank you.

3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

You can check the grade around the cover. Maybe you can hit them from a different angle without tripping. You may have to adjust where you put the snow. I agree that you would be better off to catch it before a full trip and back up to release it. Throw a cone on them before you start, till you get used to where there at.

4. yellowsnow

yellowsnow Junior Member
    from midwest

Tell them to get them patched in the summer (My old job) or they would be responsible for damage. Probably cost them about $150.00 to do both.

5. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

If that is a strain on the motor, what about stacking and piling snow when you are literally lifting snow up the pile doesn't that strain the motor more?

6. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

if that was a fisher it would of felt like you broke the whole truck

7. DJL

DJL Senior Member

ALLCON,

Thanks for all of your advice. Unfortunately there is no other place for us to stack the snow. The manhole covers are just off the centerline of the entranceway. There is no way to even approach them from a different angle. We know where they are it's just difficult on the first pass when I few inches are on the ground exactly when you are going to come into contact with them.

As far as stacking and straining the motor. IMO, whatever that might mean, the way I stack I do not put much strain on the motor (truck or plow). I consider myself a slow, careful plower. I'm the type that has the truck fully stopped before changing gears and I weight for the transmission to engage before I let off the gas and place my foot on the gas. As for stacking, my approach is to start lifting the plow before the pile and create a ramp up to the top of the pile. Maybe ramp is not a good choice of words, but anyway, I then come back and push the leftovers into the pile. Once I start getting a little resistance, that's it. If I wanted to move piles I'd go get a front end loader or skid steer.

I think I will mention to the owners that they will need to remedy the situation for next year. If they say no my contract will state that I'm not responsible for damage to them. Speaking of, has anyway ever ruined a manhole cover before?

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i was plowing a road with a six wheel mack and 11ft plow and i caught the edge of a manhole cover and it went down the road so i used the truck to push it back in the hole

9. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

I need to get me one of those suckers...:nod:

10. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Had a driver years ago put a lid down into the hole. Dont ask how, round lid, round hole, down it went. Should have seen the look on the face of the property manager as he stood there staring down the hole.

11. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

I have a manhole cover in a driveway. With a U-edge, my Fisher and truck don't even know it's there any longer. A little slower than parking lot plowing, but it seems I'd catch that sucker every other time before the u-edge.

I'd back up. That motor is straining since the plow is jammed tight and the hydraulics are at a much higher pressure trying to unjam it, therefore putting more load on the motor. I'd say more load than just stacking.

12. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I would find out which utility who owns the manhole and call them and explain your situation. You may be suprised to find out that actually sometimes they will see it your way. As far as the cover falling down in the hole, sometimes the wrong lid is installed hence the lid falling into the hole. I had a partner stand on a cover once with both feet and he ended up with a broken shoulder when the lid he was standing on fell in.:eek:

13. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Ouch, that really stinks. I'll look into the utility though. Aren't the owners responsible for the storm drains since they are on there property?