1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.5" Western Plow on Suburvan vs 1990 Cherokee

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dudley92, Oct 19, 2007.

1. dudley92

dudley92 Junior Member

Hello. I have a 1995 GMC 1500 Suburban and a 1990 Jeep Cherokee 4-door. I know that it would be recommended to mount the plow on the GMC. Does anyone have a reliable mounting system for the Cherokee? I have read about the unibody vs. frame discussions. I have been plowing the past 3 years with a 1976 F-250 Highboy with a Western 6.5" plow. I've sold that plow and now have the Highboy for sale as well.

I'm just trying to weigh the options between the two vehicles for plowing. I usually only plow my own driveway, about a mile total of plowing.

The Suburban is one of regular driver vehicles and we use it quite a bit, so I'd want the plow to be easily detachable, whereas on the Cherokee, it could stay on all winter.

Looking for opinions (hope I didn't open myself up too much there).

2. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

In my opinion I would rather put it on the Burb. It is a bigger, heavier vehicle. Plus if the front sags you can turn up the torsion bars whereas on the Cherokee you would have to install heavier coils or Timbrens. I'm sure the Cherokee would plow just fine but I'd suggest putting it on the Suburban. Thats my $.02.
  3. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Burban. Unless you only want to do you own drive then I guess it wouldnt matter. There will always be a buyer for cherokee set up if you decided to sell it. Anything more than your own stuff I would say Burb plus there are a ton of used plows out there that will bolt right on.
  4. dudley92

dudley92 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies, I'm leaning towards the Suburban myself and have had some interest from people in selling the Cherokee. I guess if I sell the Jeep the decision will be made. Thanks again.