1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.5' vs. 8' Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sailscall01, Nov 10, 2005.

1. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

I just purchased a 2005 Dodge RAM 2500 series with the Heavy Duty Plow package. I am about to purchase a Western plow and the the local rep here in Philadelphia mentioned I should get a 7.5' plow. Some of my buddies, who have plowed before, said I should purchase an 8' because of doors iceing up?? Any thoughts??
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

get the 8 what does the doors have to with anything
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not sure what doors icing up would have to do with the size of the plow, but I'd put at least an 8' if not a 9' on it. Actually, I'd probably get a Vplow. The exception would be if you have a diesel engine.
  4. danno

danno Senior Member

5. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

im not sure about that whole door thing but if it was me i'd throw a V-plow or a 7'6'' on there...i mean thats me i do some tight spots but it all depends on what ur doing to...if ur just doing big lots i'd go with the 8 or 9 foot V but if ur doing driveways or spots that get tight i'd go with a 7'6'' or an 8 V...
  6. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

I have been told to use a smaller plow, but that was by a guy in a very urban area, where the driveways are not very wide.
    Narrow driveways will make maneuvering difficult with a big plow.
    Other than that sort of thing you should go with the 8'.

JRKRACE Senior Member

Coming from a guy with a 7.5, I would kill to get an 8...
  8. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

Thanks from a new Philly plower

Thanks for everyone's replies.. I have an appointment for Wednesday, 11/16, to get an 8' Western Plow. I am new to this site and I'll tell you what. This site has everything a new guy needs.. Thanks everyone.. :salute:
  9. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

You did not actually tell us what you would be doing. If you are doing lots or large driveways or streets go big. If you are doing city driveways and driving in the city go for the smaller size--The V seems like it's the new way to go!
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get the 8ft any thing less is for jeeps and s10's. It doesn't matter if you only do your own drive, get the 8ft..