1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.5 unimount angles sometimes

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by toytech, Feb 5, 2011.

1. toytech

toytech Junior Member

I had a issue 2 yrs ago where my unimount would not angle and I was told to change solenoid cartridges and I did I replaced s1 s2 s3. last year it stopped angling again and I replaced the cartridges once again, this year I noticed that it stopped working some times but starts working for a few passes then stops again and mostly it wouldn't angle while it was down, lift it and it works, some times it will angle when its down. but EVERY time I can hear a high pitch squeal like its trying, so I'm currently on my 3 set of cartridges and I just bought a used valve manifold (angling block w/adjustment screws) and changed everything over and I still have the issues. 3 sets of cartridges and a angling block later and not fixed. Its currently snowing and I can't go plow, any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks Bob

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you check the the grill connector to make sure there was no corrosion inside the plug??

Also check the fluid level..Make sure the fluid is clean and no moisture. If you can, check the suction screen to make sure it is not clog..

3. toytech

toytech Junior Member

yea the grill connectors are good and free of corrosion as I use die electric grease continuously, and just recently I had changed the the lift ram and packing then completely drained the system including angle rams so the fluid maybe just 2 weeks old, I do hear the pump(?) squeal when I attempt to angle the blade with no reaction other then a simple jerk

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The squeel you hear is the pressure relief valve letting oil bleed off because the pressure is too high. Sounds to me like your pump is running but the valves are not opening to direct that oil to the correct ram/ rams. Sounds to me like an electrical problem. I rigged up a little thing for test purposes where I take off the valve cover and dissconnect all the wires then I put this thing in that in simple terms connects a 12v light bulb to each of the three coils. A wire runs from the valve cover up to the hood where the three lights stick to the hood with a magnet. As I operate the plow I can see that there is power, or not, being sent to the appropriate coil. If the power is being sent correctly then check all the coils to be sure that they have the correct resistance / continuety. Perhaps it is as simple as a bad coil or loose wires on one of your coils.

5. toytech

toytech Junior Member

I should be able to just use a volt meter while another person operates the control to check for power, right? and if I have power then its possibly the coils? also if I pull out the cartridges while the coils are still on and power them up would I actually see cartridge function/operate?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  6. mishnick

Yes in both cases. Pulling t &the valve cartraige and then putting the coil back on and powering it up should make them click. If you look you will also see some movement and the first time some oil usually flys out so watch your eyes. Also be carefull when a person is between the plow and the truck with the voltmeter. Don't squish him!!!

7. toytech

toytech Junior Member

yeah I will be the 1 in between the truck and plow, thank you and I will try this as soon as my son gets home

8. toytech

toytech Junior Member

also I forgot to mention while I changed the cartridges from 1 angle block to the other a small funnel shaped screen fell out of the top right cartridge hole and is all chewed up (chunk missing)

9. mishnick

That is important... "chewed up & chunk missing" The missing chunk is going to be a problem. The question is where did this missing chunk go? If it just went into the reservoir then it will get stuck to the magnet but if it is still in one of the fluid chambers who knows where it is going to end up. If I was resopnsible for this repair I would be at the very least pulling the reservoir off and cleaning it out. I would hope to find that missing piece in the magnet.

Still, the problem remains and you have to find out what is failing. Continue the tests and narrow down what part is causing the original problem.

10. twinman326

The connector might be free of corrosion but it might not be making solid contact..

You never mention the "suction filter"!! Did you check the suction to make sure it was clean??

Have you check the plug to the controller..Wiggle the plug under the dash while your trying to angle the plow.

Also check the blk/orn wire. This wire is the "ground" wire. It comes from the controller, off the solenoid(small terminal) through the grill connectors, ground onto the plow frame, connects to the S valves, and plow lights. While your at it, check the brn/red wire as well (small terminal)

Are you calling the "angle block" the same as the word for manifold block??

Are the the "manifold" blocks the same?

If they are, why did you just switch the manifold instead of taking everything off of one block and switch it to the other block??

You might want to check inside the cross over valves, and the poppet valves to make sure they are not damage, or there is no foreign material blocking the passage way. If there is, then fluid will not be able to pass..

This also might be a pump problem. Did you do a pressure test on the pump??

The reason why I mention the above, two weeks ago I had a similar problem. I change the S valves, clean the connectors, with no luck. I took out the poppet valve (you have two, one on top on one on the side) and come to find out the spring was sitting weird inside it chamber. ( side of the block) I pull it out and the spring just fell apart. I then pull the other poppet valve (top), and the tip look damage. Then I proceed to pull the cross over valves, and I found piece of a tiny metal from the chamber. I clean the block out while it was off the pump housing, re-install the cushions and adjust them.. I replace both poppet valves and the plow work better then it did before.. My problem was the poppet valves with the help of the cross over valves.. Combinations of both..remember the screen was chew up and missing a chunk (your quote)..Get the point!!!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  11. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

your controller could be bad also the circuit bord could be bad

12. toytech

toytech Junior Member

snowplowpro I did try a new controller and no dice, twinman I have a lot of work to do to check over all that stuff and yeah same thing the company I got it from called it a angle block (?) angle block/manifold block, and they are the exact same new and old. and I replaced it because I couldn't adjust or remove any of the set screws they were all seized. I will pull the motor and pump to check that suction screen, clean the reservoir out and everything else, also I did double check all the wiring by checking for resistance and its still in good shape as it is soldered and heat shrank w/glue, good grounds ect. probably that chewed up screen is my problem I'm literately gonna disassemble all the hydraulic system and blow it out rams and all. I don't have a garage so I'm waiting for the weather to work with me. Thank you everyone

13. twinman326

I also do not have a garage, so I know what your talking about working out in this weather

14. toytech

toytech Junior Member

yeah we didn't get hit half as bad as you but winds are crazy here lol, I will get back to you as soon as I have a chance to tinker. thanks again, Bob

15. twinman326

only got 4"..mostly rain on top of the snow

16. toytech

toytech Junior Member

oh I thought NY got hit bad?