1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.5' too small for a dodge RAM?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by amarino, Nov 11, 2005.

1. amarino

amarino Junior Member

I will be plowing for the first time this winter with a 99 RAM 2500 with a western uni-mount 7.5 straight blade. Will I have problems with this short of a blade because I herd the ram pickips are slightly wider than other pickups?

-Thanks, AL

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

You would be fine with a 7.5 but I would personally go with an 8' blade with your truck. The cost difference is next to nothing and the extra 6" is worth the extra $$$ in my opinion.

3. sailscall01

sailscall01 Member

I just bought a '05 2500 Quad Cab. Dodge RAM and asked the same question. I was told to get a 7.5' pro plow from a local rep. and asked the question on this site and also to a few plowers from my area. I decided to get the 8'.

4. SCL

SCL Senior Member

I've got a 96 with a 7.5' and like it. I like it much more with the Plow Wings, they're invaluable!

5. Ian

Ian Member

It's Okay, much better with the wings.

I have a 96 3500! with a 7.5, I never use it with out the wings.

6. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Ian- a 3500 with a 7.5???? Dude that truck could hold a 8.5-9ft plow no problem, wats with the small plow? A 2500 should carry a 8ft., then down to the 1/2 or 1500 a 7.5.

Jeff

7. Ian

Ian Member

Jeff,

I was concerned with the weight of a larger plow on an older dodge with the diesel engine. I found the 7.5 for a great price and added the wings. It is just over 9ft. I got a wide plow with the weight of a 7.5. plus as aside benefit, the wings carry more snow than expected. I also drive a company truck that has a 8ft boss. You can only take half a bite as the trail off on the forward end is too great.

I only have experience with the boss and the two westerns I have owned. from my use the western is much better.

Ian

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you think about the weight of the wings there is little weight savings over an 8 footer. a 3/4 ton truck should have an 8 footer, especially for professional use. Don;t put on xtras that you don;t need- like snowfoils and thick cutting edges or poly edges. Keep it to the minimum and will will be reasonably well- as well as if you use a 7.5 footer anyway.

9. amarino

amarino Junior Member

Thanks for the comments. I am trying to find wings for my unimount western 7.5...where would I go to buy them? I believe there was a sticker that said "proplow 7.5" on it before I re-painted it.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

7.5 is fine maybe some wings if your doing comm

11. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

My first truck and still operational is a 96 Ram 2500 long bed with a 7.5' meyers. Size is fine, could use the wings though, but its easy to get into tight spots. Youll be fine with it. After a while, youll want a bigger blade only to speed things up, you can ad the wings then.

12. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with something bigger, I think you'll be happier.

13. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

One more thing for me to add... All I operate are 3/4 tons. I only have 7 1/2 footers but I put wings on all my blades. All in all, I would wrather have a 7.5 and wings than a straight 8 footer. Just my opinion.

14. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I plow with the same truck and an 8 footer- I have to ask seriuously is the 6 inches smaller plow really that easier to get into tight places with an 18 foot long truck behind it? I haven't found a place yet that a 7.5 blade would have made my life easier- am I missing something?
    A shorter wheelbase truck, yes, but a shorter blade no. I have never seen a driveway narrower than 8 feet. I plowed up until this season that was 8'3" which ic the narrowest I have ever seen.

15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have an 05. I had ordered an 8' blade but 2 days before install time they called and had a problem with my order but offered an 8'6" blade for the same price. When I picked up the truck I was glad. The extra 6" will give me more room between walls and my truck and allow for closer clearing in commercial/industrial lots.

16. green leaf

green leaf Junior Member

I have a 2001 2500 with a western 7.5, I love it and have no problems at all. From commercial to small drives it does a great job so go with what will work for you. just my 2 cents.:drinkup:

17. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I have a 2003 RAM 2500 with an 8ft. Fisher MM2. Honestly, I wish my plow were bigger. Go bigger, you'll plow more driveway in less time...you'll be happier in the end.