1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.5 Standard Blade who uses them and why did they

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by DAZ982500, Nov 3, 2007.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

I just purchased the 7.5 Standard for my 95 Chevy 1/2 ton.The salesman tells me that they discontinued this blade.He states this blade was commonally used by Muncipal trucks for plowing.He goes on to say that they are tough plows.So I think I am happy,but then I start thinking if they are so good why take it off the market.How many have used this blade is it as good as he states, and why stop making it.I will be plowing about 25 driveways with it and some light commerical(apts,sm. businesses).Dave

2. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Typical salesman :nono: . It should be fine for what you're doing, but most municipalities use 8, 8.5 or 9 ft. pro-plows.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

The standard blade was built for the trucks with a lighter front end weight rating (ie 1/2 tons, blazers, broncos and such). It was more or less just replaced with the mid weights when they came out with the ultra mounts. It will work for what your doing, just remember that is a little lighter and less reinforced than a pro blade.

4. JayMac

JayMac Member

I own a 7.5' uni mount mid weight and it is about 8yrs old. Just found a crack for the first time this summer and that is the only repairs I have made to outside of a couple of hydro lines. Like Crash said the only mount they make is the ultra mount now and they are heavier so that takes them out of the 1/2 ton range. So why should the make it? Plus the v plows are so popular now.

5. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

they have to keep up with the jonses. why else would they stop making the cable operated western for a good example. on the cable operated plows you had a $8.00 solenoid to go bad, and the valving is alot more forgiving when it comes to dirt and debris in the oil. arguably one of the most reliable plows ever built. well myers and all the rest of the plow manufacturers decided to start using up down,left right solenoids which are more costly to replace. so western jumped on the bandwagon to keep up with the competition. these newer plows are nice, but when it comes out to $$$ to maintain and repair, the old cable operated are alot cheaper to maintain. you don't need $8-$10 plow oil good ol atf works just fine and is alot cheaper. yeah the o/s western plows are dinosaurs, but hey they don't build em like they used to. my .02 later, pete