1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.5' Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowGuy314, Oct 5, 2010.

1. PlowGuy314

PlowGuy314 Junior Member
    from CT

Hi. I have a F350 truck with the extended cab and long bed. I also already have all the wiring and mounts for a Curtis plow and am trying to find one for the upcoming winter. The only thing is, most of the plows that I find are 7.5' long. Will this work for my truck or will it just be a big mess? Thanks guys.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It will work, but an 8 or 9 foot plow would be more suited to that truck. Are you doing drives, or mostly commercial lots? If it is just residentals, then the 7.5 foot plow will be fine. Anything bigger, and you cant get it turned around. If you plowing mostly lots, then the bigger the better

3. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

You will regret it if you buy anthing less than an 8 foot plow. You will be running over windrows and packing snow down. If you are doing strictly drives i guess you may get away with it.

4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Just get the 7.5 and add Pro Wings. I run a curtis 7.5 with wings and its about 9 feet now.

5. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

7.5 footer will be lighter on your front end...you will have no problem....add the pro wings and you'll be golden

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

At least eight foot, eight foot six inches would be even better. That is a long truck, you will find your rear wheels pack down unplowed snow if you are doing anything but running in a straight line.

7. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I don't see why you would want something so small. I have never found a smaller blade to be more usefull than a bigger one. In any circumstance. That is a big truck and it is going to be hard enough to maneuver it. Once I got it in position, I would want to move all the snow possible. At least 8.5 feet wide but I would look bigger than that.

8. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

I agree with most, add wings and your golden. Any straight blade is unproductive by itself. Wings are the way to go. Stay away from the rubber edges on the pro wings. We use poly cutting edges by cutting edge poly. They rock. Nailed a curb hard core last year and nothing. I am pretty sure that the cutting edges will outlast the pro wings.

9. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

He didn't say that he wants a smaller plow; he said that the only used plows that he can find are 7.5'.

10. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

As long as the truck is, I'd take the $$s i'm saving by buyin the 7.5 and have a welding shop (or do it yourself if you have the knack) fab up a set of custom wings each 6" longer than the store bought set and you' ll be super happy because you've basically created a low cost scoop plow that clears your wheels.

11. PlowGuy314

PlowGuy314 Junior Member
    from CT

First off, thank you for all the responses. Really make things easier for me with the debate going on in my head. So it seems like the resounding answer is that the 7.5' plow would be just a bit short and those six extra inches between that and an 8' is a big difference. I have found a 9' plow but it requires a long roadtrip to go see it and I wouldn't be able to get up there for a couple weeks. Would this be too big now? I just want a nice in between size lol. Thanks guys.

12. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I have a 7.5 plow on my chevy. I originally had that plow on an extended cab long bed, and I bought a shorter truck because I found it was too tough to maneuver the other one-and I don't need the back seat for anything. Though 8' is 6 inches bigger than 7.5-it is only 3 inches per side. Not going to do much to keep from running over snow on tight corners with a long wheelbase like yours. You are best off getting wings-that way you have the best of both worlds in maneuverability, and width when you want it.

My 7.5 with wings will outplow 2-1 my friends 8' in a parking lot. Granted, his plow is a meyer mounted on a ford, so that's two strikes against him, but still-wings are the way to go.

I would go with the 7.5 if you can find good deals on them used.

13. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 9 foot western on a 3/4 ton chevy quad cab, and it seems to b e perfect. So I would say if you are going to stick with a straight blade, then 9 foot will be just fine. I would still look at the 7.5 foot blade and put the wings on it like everyone is suggesting. That will give you the best overall preformance.

14. PlowGuy314

PlowGuy314 Junior Member
    from CT

Thank you everyone for the responses. Sounds like getting the 7.5' plow and adding on wings is the way to go. What wings would you recomend then for it? Would the universal Pro-Wings work good for it? Thank you for all the responses.

15. PlowGuy314

PlowGuy314 Junior Member
    from CT

Thanks for the responses. Ended up picking up an 8' Curtis plow today for $500. Everything works but the plow won't stay up so I was going to replace one of the solenoids to hopefully solve that. Also, the end for the wiring that's on my truck right now is different than what is on the plow so i'll have to change that out or maybe i can find an adapter for it? Am I crazy to think that there might be an adapter that i can use instead for it? Thanks guys.

16. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Find out from a curtis dealer what you're suppose to have for that specific truck and go about finding it. You don't need problems in the cold of winter.

17. PlowGuy314

PlowGuy314 Junior Member
    from CT

Thank you. That's what I'm trying to do here is to fix the problems now so that its 100% good before winter comes. I'll call a dealer tomorrow but was trying to get some feedback from you guys first that have ever experienced these problems.