1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.5 or 8 foot Plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fun52dig, Dec 15, 2004.

1. fun52dig

fun52dig Junior Member
    from nj

I am new to the snow plow business. I just purchased a 2004 HD F250 SC and don't know if I should go with a 7.5' or 8' plow on this truck. Can anyone give advice on this purchase.

2. PlowKid150

PlowKid150 Senior Member

Definetely go with an 8 footer. for 2 reasons.

1. The lenght of the truck you are putting the plow on is a pretty long setup, as well as wide, and 7.5 will JUUUUUUUST be wide enough. Plus when you are making wide turns, your rear wheels will run in the unplowed path. Goi with an 8!!!!!

2. The 8 foot blade is no more than a hundred bucks more, and that extra 6 inches weighs nearly nothing. For the long term investment, go with the 8 foot. It is the most important 6 inch upgrade i think...
  3. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

That mostly depends on what you're plowing, commercial or residential.

Your truck can handle the 8 foot. My way of deciding the same question was that if my truck could handle the bigger blade, why not use the vehicle to it's full potential? So I went with the 8. An 8 footer can be a bit on the big side for doing some narrow driveways, but it's better for doing lots. I just don't take a driveway job that's too small for the blade, and since I'm not in the city, that really not a problem I see.

You can compare prices too, but for the difference I still think the 8 is the way to go. In the end though, you have to decide what's best for you.
  4. osbo68

osbo68 Member

I would go with the 8'. You will be much happier in the end. At full angle the 8' is only 4" wider than the 7'6". With Fishers you get a stronger plow in the 8'. There is an eighty pound difference in the 2 plows. I'm not sure about other brands specs. Your trk should be able to handle the wght. with no problems. Click on the links up top and check out the dealers specs. They should be usefull in your decisionl. :drinkup:
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you can do a 7.5 if you doing lots more driveways
  6. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

its personal prefrance really. The 8 footer is a heavier blade (8 footer is a 12gauge and 7.5 is a 14gauge). 80lbs additonal pounds on a blade is allot but with your truck it shouldn't be a problem. Cost is also a factor and as mentioned above what you expect to be plowing is also to be considered.

If your doing driveways and not doing parking lots i would go with the 7.5 footer. If your doing driveways currently and expect to be doing some commercial stuff i would go with the 8.

Personaly i have an 8 footer on an old 150. There are many times i wish i had a 7.5.
  7. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Go with an 8' blade and buy a poly. If you plow anyplace that has an inside turn that you will have to do, the 8 footer will work much better.
  8. Rsibill

Rsibill Junior Member

I would like to get some advice on quoting simple residential driveways (up to 50 feet straight on) in Northwest Nj. What about sidewalks?

Thoughts? Formulas? Guidelines?

-Thank You!
  9. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Posting your question in the right forum will get you a better response. This thread is about 7.5 versus 8 foot blades, not pricing jobs.
    Post a new thread asking your question under "Elements of Business" and you should get plenty of answers.
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

go with the 8ft .

JRKRACE Senior Member

I bought a 7.5 Fisher for my HD2500 because I was worried about weight, but If I were doing it again, without question , I would go for the 8 FT.
  12. fun52dig

fun52dig Junior Member
    from nj

Thanks for the info guys!