1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7 .5 older western plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jgtools, Oct 6, 2014.

1. jgtools

jgtools Member

I was going to wire wheel and prep the plow for painting today, I noticed a few pin holes about 1/16th to a 1/8 in diameter towards the top of the plow, right before the roll on the top edge, pretty rusty in spots. how do I repair the tiny holes that go all the way thru? better off just leaving them, and paint as is....? thanks for any tips

2. rdfenn3

rdfenn3 Member

Spot weld it with a mig. Than grind smooth

3. jgtools

jgtools Member

ill give welding a try. I just saw a skin that you can get from northern hydraulics that bolts to the plow face are they good? thanks

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well, trying to weld to Swiss cheese is ni impossible. Might need to add plate, or have a metal shop make a hole top piece.

5. jgtools

jgtools Member

yup, back from shop, looks like I will have to add plate, 1/4 inch , 2 inch wide along top, the entire area is thin, and lots of pitting/holes I found the more I wire wheeled .

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's a common area for some reason.

7. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Yup I just got a used fisher and the tops pretty rotted out so that's my next project for it