1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.5 fisher RD no left turn signal??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Hank, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Hank

Hank Junior Member
    from MA

Hi guys, I have a 1997 Chevy k1500 with a 7.5 Fisher RD MM1 sehp plow.

Today I figured I would take some time to do some maintence on my plow...

Well I hooked up the plow everything worked well except for my left turn signal...So I cleaned up the pins with some electrial terminal cleaner cleaned the pins good then applied some new dilectric grease to the terminals. Still no left turn signal...But if I wiggle the plug to the right it works or if I push up on the plug it works...I went to the fisher web site and copied the plug schematics looks like pin #9 so I once again try to clean the pin up...still nothing. The strange part is that everything else works... It's a 9pin harness which was brand new 3yrs ago. can anyone point me in the right direction of how to fix the problem? Are the pins replaceable? Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I've never heard of the pins being replaceable.If the lights work with the plug being wiggled that tell you the plow lights are ok.I'm thinking its time to replace the harness.Have you cleaned both truck side and plow side plugs? If you need to replace the truck side harness its part # 8475 and part # 8246 plow side.

3. Hank

Hank Junior Member
    from MA

I cleaned both sides for what I thought was really good...nice and shiney...Yea if I move the plug to the right which is almost all the way out from the plug then it works..or if I push the plug up while connected the signal works....just strange that the harness is shot just a little under 3yrs...from new...weird that it's only the left turn signal.
    I tried even to push the truck side contact closed to see if that would work too...but I was being very carefull not to ruin the harness either. But that didn't work either...:help:

4. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

It's a two plug system with the plugs attached to a grille plate, right? They make repair ends for those harnessess which are about $50 (nothings cheap). I would always have problems with connections in the two plug systems until I learned if you don't have the truck side mounted to those grille plates the connected plugs will move together when plowing instead of one moving against another, think about one plug is hard mounted so when the plow side plug is installed it takes all the flex when bouncing around from plowing and driving thus causing wear, I stopped using the grille plates years ago with the two plug and have never used them since and never had any more connection problems.

5. Hank

Hank Junior Member
    from MA

Yes it is the 2 plug system the truck side harness is tied to the grill...never thought of the abuse of the plug caused by the plow since it is tied down.

Now as far as the repair harnesses how easy are they to install, will I have to worry about another corrosion point in the harness? and which side to I do first? or just drop the hammer and buy both sides plow and truck side...

Thanks for the help!

6. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Grille side takes the worse beating, get rid of both of those grille plates, your power connection will go bad too, but that one you may be able to squeeze tighter on the truck side. The fisher repair harness comes with heat shrink butt connectors so it's a pretty good fix. Also make sure that you don't have any cracked/broken wires on the plowside harness right where the wire enters the plug, you should strengthen this area with a piece of sliced open (to get wiring into) heater hose butted up to the plug and black electrical tape, wrap the tape around the hose and the area where it meets on the plug to eliminate the wiring bending and breaking at that point.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  7. Hank

Hank Junior Member
    from MA

Thanks for the tips! I will definitly be taking off the grill plates. I guess I'll start with the truck side repair harness first...we'll see where that takes me from there.

Again thanks for the help!

8. Hank

Hank Junior Member
    from MA

Well don't I just feel like a jack**s. my sister was over and I was telling her about the problem I was having with my plow...telling her its the left side....she looks over and she's like hey isn't that the right side turn signal? :eek::laughing:
    So needless to say I looked at the #10 pin on the connector cleaned it up good low and behold I have a RIGHT side turn signal....:jester:

Well the plow is officially now set for winter....Thanks everyone for the help!!:drinkup:

IMG00029-20111023-1257.jpg