1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.5 FISHER on Chevy 1500 NOT GETTING ELECTRICITY

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by merrimacmill, Dec 2, 2007.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Hey, I went over my friends house today to help him haul his plow out of storage and put it on for the storm. Hes got a 1997 Chevrolet 1500 with a 7.5 foot MM plow. So he drove up to the plow, I plugged it in and the headlights did not switch and the plow controller did not turn on and the controller switch was on but the light didn't light up. The plow obvestuly had no function. So I got my 12V tester and tested how far the current was getting. So I followed the wire from the battery to the solinoid and there was power at this point. However there was no power comming out of the solinoid. So after checking all the wiring and nothing looks abnormal or anything, we went to NAPA and got a new solinoid and changed it. This fixed NOTHING. Fortunatly he doesn't plow any accounts, just his driveway. But any help on how to fix this is much appriciated as we only have tomorrow to fuiger out how to fix it. ( we're getting a storm sunday night.. Hopefully payup hah)

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the light wasn't lit on the controller then there's a good chance it doesn't have power..... or their's no ground for the harness through the grill connectors..

If you'd have checked the small wire's on the solenoid with the test light, I think you'd have found that either it didn't have power, or ground, since the harness is grounded through the grill connections so there could be a problem with them, or again the controller didn't have power so the activation wire on the solenoid wouldn't have had it either.

I'd check the power wire to the controller first... see where it's connected to in the fuse panel.. check it with test light for 12V.

If it checks out OK, then check for ground through the grill connectors.

3. merrimacmill

from MA

The plug that supplies the power, grounds to the negitive side of the battery. And there is no electricity going to either one of the small activation wires on the solinoid or the main power wire that goes to the plow.

It looks like a wrapped wire comming out of the controller plug (the one with many little holes rather than the one with two big holes, the power one) and then it goes half way across the engine compartment and then splits into a T and two wires come out of this harness and go to the control points of the solinoid and the rest keeps going right through the firewall. So are you saying that there is a power wire that comes off the fuse panel inside and goes to the controller to power the activation wires?

Thanks for the help,

Collin

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

One is ground and the other is the activation wire coming from the controller.. if the activation wire doesn't have power when a function other than "lower/float" is pressed, then the controller probably isn't getting power..

Yes there should be.. It'll be a small gage wire (should be red)..should come out of the control harness right after the multi pin plug (where the controller plugs into the control harness under the dash) Follow that wire, it should go to an ignition hot fuse in the fuse panel..
    See if it's getting power...

5. merrimacmill

from MA

Got the plow working. You were right, there is a red wire under the dash and it fell out of the fuse panel. I replaced it and the plow now works. My only problem is I do not know what fuse to put it in. I tried Aux Power fuse but the plow controller stayed on all the time because it was not switched by the key ignition. So I put it into the parking lamps fuse and it switched off with the key. But my problem is the headlights DO NOT turn on. The parking lights on the plow work, but the headlights do not. They didn't work when I had the power comming from the AUX power either.

The snow just started flying so any help is appriciated!

Thanks,

Collin

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

PM sent....