1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.5 blizzard plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DetroitDuramax, Jan 12, 2005.

1. DetroitDuramax

DetroitDuramax Junior Member

Hey guys new here to plowing. I found a 7.5 blizzard for around $2500 installed. I have a 2002 silverado 2500HD. It has the prep package and Duramax allison. Do you guys think this is 2 small for the truck. I want a 8' or 8.5' but that will set me back another $1100-$2000. I was thinking of using the money I save to pick up a spreader. I was then hoping later 2 pick up a 8' or 8.5' blade since the 760 is the exact same as the 800 and 860 just shorter. So just swap out the mold board. The 760lt has one less trip spring and is shorter. What do you guys think? I would be starting from scratch so no commercial accounts yet. Maybe some if they need it plowed and can't find anybody. But I don't plan to get big and rich anyway just make a few bucks.Here in Detroit they don't plow streets so it will help that way. Most storms here only drop most 6" to 8". The most I have ever seen in my 22 years of existence is 10" and that was 15 years ago. I would like the spreader since in Detroit we can get salt or Haltie for $2.75 50lbs and most guys say they charge $15 a bag dropped. Detroit is built on salt. So maybe I can pick up some salt action.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I am not at the shop right now so I cannot look but believe the 7'6" A frame has only 3 spring retainers and the 8' or larger has 4 retainers. Also check all measurements. I would check this out before proceeding with your plan.

3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I think you should wait until you can afford a 8 ft blade, you will be money ahead. Ask the dealer what a 8ft moldboard is going to cost to put on the 7.5 at a later date. Ask BOLTS he can tell you, it wont be cheap. :redbounce

4. DetroitDuramax

The 760lt plow was 3 trip springs this is a 760 plow has 4 trip springs. the 760lt is the light duty plow. Even if the mold board is $1000-$1500 its still the difference between getting a 8ft plow now since the 8ft is atleast $1100 more upfront now. Even at $1500 for a new mold board if I can get the 7.5 for $2500 installed then next year or year after spend $1500 for a new mold board I am only spending $300-500 extra. Then if i don't get any big contracts or just end up plowing gas stations or small lots I don't see 6" extra width cutting my time in half. I could also possibly get a 9ft v plow for $3500 but then is a 9ft v plow anygood for clearing residential. Is a 9ft v plow a beginner plow?

5. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

your not even close to comparing apples to apples.. 760lt is a great plow (atleast mine is ;) ).. and im sure the v is also.. having a 2500 or a diesel doesnt change the size of the plow that you need however it does open different options for you.. more important is, what type of cab and bed config. do you have?

6. DetroitDuramax

The truck is a 02 2500hd ext cab short bed. I have been told the duramax dosen't like the heavy plows the 6.0 is lighter and handles them a little better. The plow is not a 760Lt that is the light duty plow this is a 760. I agree its kinda small but like I said if I can upgrade the mold board to 8 or 8.5 for $1500 then I am at the same price plus I will still have the 7.5 if I need a small plow. This is gonna be my first plow and I am not sure a 9' V plow is a beginner plow? Don't you have to learn to walk before you can run? Is the V plow a resident plow I always thought it was more commercial? It also weights alot more than the straight blade.

7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If your dealer can sell you a 7.5 for a 3/4 ton for that price then he can sell you an 8 footer or 8.5 for the same price. I do. Hint, it may be a special price to get rid of it. Not a big seller. New moldboard is over a Thousand US. A 7.5 on that truck will beat the rear quarter panels in on turns.

8. DetroitDuramax

The plow is a 03 model. All he has is the 7.5 blizzard or a 9' snoway v plow the snoway would cost me about $3500. But I am not sure I need a V plow. I am just starting out and would love the v plow but don't see how I wouldn't f**kup somebody's grass trying to back drag a driveway. Also the snoway weights like 900 pounds 750 plow plus average of 130lbs for mount. Blizzard is 750lbs. So then I will have to crank up the torsion bars alignment more money. Plus no salt spreader this year :( . So I would have a 9' plow and no big lots to plow? :( I was also wondering why would I be turning while trying to plow snow I am not trying to get into "large" jobs. I was thinking more small stores, mom pop restaurant, gas stations,maybe a small strip mall. I am one person and don't need more work then 1 person can handle. I helped a guy do some plowing last year he had about 20 clients and never remember him driving around while plowing just straight shots out of the way.

9. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

I have the dents to prove it. I would get no less than an 8 if I was doing it again. I have a 7.5 on my reg cab reg bed, and my wheels track in the windrows with any angle on even the slightest curve.

Why are you wed to this specific dealer? I would look around for a plow for your needs- both immediate, AND what you expect in the next 2 or 3 years.

10. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I wouldn't be too worried about saving money for a spreader. If you are trying to get into this, you probably aren't going to get much if any acct.s this year. So why not buy what you wan't the first time and don't mess around with switching around mold boards. Besides, you will not switch back and forth like you are talking about, too much work. If you are set in buying something this winter. buy one or the other and save this next year for the spreader or the plow you REALLY want. ;)

11. DetroitDuramax

I agree with getting the best plow not really worry about the spreader. But $2500 compared to roughly $3500-$4000 for a 8ft installed+tax make me want to save the money. I see there are a few guys using 7.5 plows on crew cab short beds which are longer then my ext cab short bed. I also noticed guys with 1/2 ton ext cab Short beds and 7.5' plows that don't seem to have any problems? I am not trying to justify the smaller plow I just don't really see 3" each side making that big of a difference I can understand like 12" shorter but then again I am new to plowing. What makes the dent's in the truck? Even if the rear tires get into the windrow and throw up some snow whats the difference between that and driving in snow? I am just trying to understand. I mean I am really tempted to get the 9ft v plow but to me thats a commercial plow and 9ft is to big to clear a driveway. The other question I was wondering is won't the snow slide off the plow when you are trying to turn. The plowing I have done has always been angle the plow to the end of the parking lot and start to straighten out near the end and make a pile along the wall or edge of the parking lot. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong place for help. It seems as you guys are more of the Professional large scale plowers. I mean I am talking gas stations and driveways maybe a small strip mall or parking lot not the Walmart parking lot. I just don't see turning while plowing in a gas station I would plow up the pump lanes then once the lanes are clear push the snow from across the lanes against the wall or where the owner wants it and if possible plow up the pump lanes and directly against the wall or fence. Did I miss some turns somewhere? Strip malls are pretty much angle the plow and push the snow to one end of the parking lot making sure not angle to much as it will just be pile the snow on itself and make it harder to push. Where is the turning while plowing come into play at the end of each pass stop and turn around and make a pile opposite end. I wouldn't plow in a oval then I just end up with a giant oval pile in the middle of the lot correct? Driveways back drag the driveway then pile snow if possible on the side of the driveway making sure to slightly raise the plow so I don't rip up the grass?If I can't pile it next to the drive drag all the way to the street and stack on the curb like all the other plow guys do probably have to back drag twice since the plow dosen't work as good dragging? Did I screw up somewhere?

12. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I can relate to your concerns about plow size on your truck. Most people around my parts have 7.5 plows. Almost all of the plows wider than 7.5 are Vplows. A 9 ft. V plow would be too big for what you are talking about. I think you would like a 8 ft. straight if you are not going to buy the 810. I used to have a narrower blade and really enjoy having the 8 ft. on my truck. Also, whatever u do, don't buy a light duty! I think you will regret it. ask the others I think they will agree. Good luck with your venture and welcome to Plowsite :waving: I too plow stuff like you are talking about, so big or small, you will find your answers here :drinkup:

13. DetroitDuramax

The plow is not the 760LT Light duty it is the 760. It has the 4 trip springs. I am just thinking if I can get a 7.5 ft plow and it does what I need I got a great deal for $2500 installed out the door. If not and I need to get a 8ft or 8.5 ft mold board next year and it costs me say $1500 for the 8ft moldboard or $2000 for 8.5 moldboard then that would be roughly the same price as buying the 8 or 8.5 upfront maybe I lose $200 and I am not gonna make back$4000 this year maybe make $1000-$1500 so I am not looking at a $4000 piece of steel all summer.But if I can use a 7.5 and it works for me I save $1000 over getting a 7.5 from a local dealer :) . There has gotta be somebody out there that would pay at least $100-$200 for a slightly use mold board with good edge? If anybody knows where in Michigan to get a 8-8.5 new plow installed for less than $3800 out the door call me.Cheapest I have found any brand Boss, Blizzard,Western,Fisher,Meyer-DIamond,Curtis was around $4000 8ft $4200 8.5ft. I did find a 8' blizzard for $3550 plus tax plus $100 for joystick thats roughly $3800 out the door. The biggest thing I don't understand is how the 1/2 ton truck guys run 7.5 no problems they all say they work great. Haven't seen a person say my 7.5 sucks on my 1/2ton but yet the exact same truck only heavy duty 2500HD it won't work?I believe the turning radius for gm 1500 to 2500 same cab and bed size is exactly the same if not it's gotta be damn close? Why does the plow work on 1/2 but not 3/4 ton trucks?

14. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

I think what most are trying to say is, you have a truck that can handle a plow, so why not utilize it. I also think you'll regret putting a 7.5' plow on a 2500. Yes you don't hear people complaining with their 1/2 tons, because they know better than to put much bigger than a 7.5' plow on their trucks without risking problems.

IA Snoman, you in Ames by chance?

15. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Bigger is better!

16. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

I am a newbie I do not understand why the rear quarters get dented ?

17. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

No one is saying it won't work. A 6 foot plow would work- it wouldnt be ideal though - thats the point. The 7.5 plow would be fine on the truck. I have a 7.5 on my 3/4 ton. From my experience I wouldn't get a 7.5 again. Im saying that an 8 foot or 8.5 foot would work better and keep the truck out of the snow, keep the big chunks of snow from rolling off the rows or piles and into your truck, and keep your rear wheels in the plowed area for better traction and control as you plow. The 1/2 tons may not be able to run a heavier 8 or 8.5, so they really dont have the option. A 3/4 or 1 ton can run the larger blade.

If its cost and you can't get an 8 for a few hundred more than the 7.5 get it, and put some wings on it to open it up to 8+ and add more carrying capacity.

18. DetroitDuramax

I just got my email back from blizzard they said swapping out the 7.5 mold board for 8' or 8.5 would cost me appox $800 8' to $1000 8.6" moldboard all the trip springs are the same just swap it out. Would also need to buy a edge as that would not be included. It might be that blizzard is a michigan company so they don't have to ship the board anywhere not sure why most guys say they are really expensive? I even asked for their msrp on the board figuring that would be the extreme end of the prices. Anybody want to buy a new never used 760 mold board? cheap

19. SteveVB

SteveVB Member

Did you ask the Blizzard dealer if they would take it in trade? Shipping may make that idea a no go, but it would be worth asking.

20. DetroitDuramax

Blizzard is a Michigan company. The factory where every blizzard plow is made is in Calumet Mi. I am in Detroit and have friends in the U.P. so I make it up there few times a year so shipping is not a big deal. They can't trade the blade since they only make so many plows a year and then switch over to their other rockit power blades. They take orders then make enough plows to fill the orders that way they don't make tons of extra plows and have to warehouse the extras. Besides maybe I will make a frame for the blade and put a Kubota?