1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.4L enhancements

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sqdqo, Oct 13, 2011.

1. sqdqo

sqdqo Member
    from mqt mi

I just bought an older (2000)Chev K2500 with a 7.4L engine for plowing. Are there any worth while engine enhancements that non-mechanic can do for improvements in fuel economy? I knew before buying it that fuel economy was poor and accept that but just wondering if I can make any easy improvements. Looking for all worth while opinions.

2. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Be very easy on the go pedal :D

3. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

Check usual- air filter, plugs, wires etc first. I have ford with 460 so I feel your pain. Frankly any mods that are easy like exhaust or intake will cost you few hundred bucks or more and only net you a small improvement. If you are only using for plowing I don't think they are worth it. Besides tour mileage probably won't be much worse than a new HD. I still get 12 mpg highway which is as good as my friends with new gas 3/4 tons. Like mossman says just go easy.

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i get 6-7mpg working my 454

5. rick502

rick502 Member
    from Vermont

There is a price to be paid with a big block. Love the power though

6. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Yank the big block out, and drop a 12 Valve Cummins in it!!

Sorry, I had to say it. But, seriously, I don't know of much you can do to improve the mileage of a big block.

kevlars

7. XXL 4RUNNER

XXL 4RUNNER Member

i hear good things about black bear pcm tuning, they do them for mileage and power too...........

8. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I thought blackbear was for 8.1L motors?

9. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I've been doing a lot of driving with my 454 lately. I honestly think its gets better mileage than my 6.0 does. Honestly the best way to conserve fuel is to go very easy on the skinny pedal. You dont need to really put your foot into these trucks to get them moving.

10. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I have a lead foot and man do i pay for it, I have the K&N in mine it gives good sound and performance, how much mileage improvement idk lol.... I will be plowing with mine for the first time this year

11. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Black Bear does all GM motors mainly LS motors though.

Sorry to say but there is not going to be anything you can do to gain significant mileage in that truck or any gas motor truck for that matter. Dont buy the hype on all these programmers and **** cause its all just hype. You can program it for more power but not more mileage....you may pick up 1 mpg if your lucky but your paying more for gas on a hot tune since you have to run 92+ octane.

If I were you Id throw on a cold air intake and do a tune up and be done with it. If you get 6-7 mpg working it hard Id be happy. I get 6-7 just driving mine around town and I dont even bother checking it while Im towing in town as I know its less. I got a 26 gallon tank and get about 150-170 miles out of it.

As for the power though...like he said its unsurpassed for a gas motor. Get a diesel if you want mileage.