1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3l powerstroke vs 5.9 Cummins

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Jan 12, 2013.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Have a new to me 01 f350 2wd which I love but hate all at the same time. The truck empty is nice driver but the fuel milage wont crack 15mpg. The power band of this truck too sits way above my normal comfort levels too. Truck needs 2000+rpm to feel any subsancial power and seems like its working too hard to me.

Now for what really bothers me is the pulling power of the truck. The other day with a stiff head wind pulling a 5000lb dump trailer the truck was nearly at its max. Had to almost floor the truck to get up to speed. 90km/h ... I have changed all the fluids filters and high pressure oil in the top end in efforts to wake the engine up.

Does this sound somewhat like a typicial 7.3l?? Or is the issue that I am just so use to the power band of the 5.9l my right foot needs to learn to get more into the diesel. Perhaps there is someone else out there who has owned both...

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Sound like boost leak.

Is intercooler pipes with boots are saturated in oily?

15 mpg it pretty bad. My 00 F350 4wd get 18 most time.

3. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Is there a typicial place where they fail ?? Would you hear a hissing sound ???

4. Milwaukee

5. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I've towed with 7.3s many times and hopping in one after driving any of the big 3's newer diesel's they do feel like dogs but definitely not to the extent you seem to be experiencing.

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

something is definitely wrong. my 02 7.3 will out pull all of the dodges in town except for one, and that is a built pulling truck.

7. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I had a leaking down pipe as well, when I fixed that and all the seals it made a huge difference. 15 mpgs isn't terrible though, in the summer I usually get around 16 with 285s, now you have the winter fuel which kills it.

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Would an engine smoker work ?? Have a friend who is a mechanic and helped him put it on a 3.8l chevy checking for intake leaks... Such a great tool too. Sorry Mrs Smith you need a intake see this smoke billowing from here ???

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Gears plays a factor in the power you put on the ground
    I ran one ford had 355 gears and that pulled like a turd
    I have one has 373 and 15-16 best I can get I run a programmer bigger turbo
    I have it set most time for towing

10. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Best thigh is to install a boost gauge and a pyrometer.

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Even I can say the performance doesn't sound correct. I occasionally drive a 98 E350 7.3 with 200k. Power really isn't an issue.

I agree a boost gauge would be a good place to start. And the smoke machine should identify leaks pretty quickly.

12. Milwaukee

Smoke machine will not able to find leak until it capable of push 20 psi.

13. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

daff I have a 2001 f350 4.10 gear with 35'' by 12 wide tires. In the winter Im getting 13.6 in the city. Im not sure what I get in the summer since i recalibrated my speedo.

I have a dp tuner, banks intercooler and banks turbo.

14. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Truck runs at 2000rpm at 60mph and is built very light. Going to do the leak down test tonight to see if there issues. Quickly looked at the boots. One has been replaced already the rest look a little slick with oil but not too bad.

15. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Our 7.3's get 14 mpg no matter what we do if they have 4.11's, and get 12-14 pulling and 16-20 mpg with 3.73 We have no power issues.

16. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Mine was a tired old dog last week when loaded. Just noticed thursday it was due for an oil change, which happened Friday.

It's amazing the difference it makes, it's back to regular.

All stock, 2k Rpms at 70 mph.

Never paid attention to mpg. It's empty so it gets filled. It's filled, then it gets emptied.

17. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

18. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Built the air intake leak down test adapter and voila.... Nothing!! Everything was tight, no air loss not even a bubble with windex on the boots. Can a good scanner read boost pressures?? How about fuel pressures ?? There has to be something wrong with it, even though it runs perfect empty.

To be honest a 6.5l pulls better. NBI Already have a 5.9 in a Ford even though it is a Louisville, best truck ever!! There is another local l7000 identicle to mine but a longer wheel base. Needs lots of love but might be the right solution for me. Buy the truck cut the frame and put a hook on load system on the back. This way it could be a flat deck, dump truck, box truck, water truck and salt truck. Perhaps there might be a new thread starting shortly.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  19. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

I regularly tow around 10k lbs and hardly even know that the trailer is back there with my 7.3s. I have a 99' 250 and an 01' 450

20. Holland

Holland Senior Member

7.3's are a great engine, ive got 3 here, one with almost 270k. Make sure your ff is good, make sure your getting plenty of fuel out of the frame mounted pump. 7.3's aren't the fastest engine, but they usually pull pretty well. A programmer will REALLY wake them up, even a small one. Found a friend of mine a used hypertech for 75 bucks and put the smallest tune in for him. Made a night and day difference and helped his mileage. Another friend has an 03 7.3 and with no programmer he could pull low 20's out of it on the highway. I installed a van turbo i had, moded his idm and he got a tuner for it awhile back, it runs out pretty good now!