1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3L Powerstroke Performance

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Landscapes8988, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 Senior Member

Just bought a 2002 F-350 7.3L ex-cab. What did you guys do as far as gaining horsepower and exhaust? wesport

2. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

I added an AFE stage 2 intake , Magnaflow 4in. exhaust and a DP tuner . The intake and exhaust didnt make much of a seat of the pants change but they did bring down the EGT,s. Th DP tuner brought the truck to life !! I,ve got 4 tunes on the chip ( stock.60hp performance,80hp economy,100hp performance) and its great to be able to switch tunes on the fly . Stock is great when the roads are slick , 60hp is used when towing and 80 & 100hp are for leaving the tailgaters in a cloud !:gunsfiring:

3. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Yep, I run a AFE Stage II, a Silverline dual exhaust (no muffler) and a TS Performance chip......and a BTS fully built transmission on my 01.

Be sure to run gauges prior to a chip...pyrometer, trans temp and boost.
    I would recommend a BTS valve body for your transmission, and have the chip tuned accordingly for it.

Lots of choices for chips....TS, Tony Wildman, Cale at BTS, DP, DI, etc...

4. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 Senior Member

where do you buy the dp tuner? how much? do i need to change the exhaust and intake?

5. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

In my opinion...gauges, intake, and exhaust before you chip it

6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

downpipe made a big difference on my 97

7. 02 Stroked

02 Stroked Member

I have the Predator Diablo Sport tuner. That thing is ridiculous! By the far the best tuner that I have found!

8. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Don not put in a chip until you have at the VERY least a pyrometer. Second, a trans temp. Third boost gauge.

You would be shocked to know the kind of trans temps you are running when you are plowing.

DP tunes rock. No better tunes than what Jody can do for you. Customer service second to none.

Remember to do intake and exhaust first before any mods. Make sure your tranny is up to the task also. They usually go about 175K then its time for a rebuild.

9. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Not sure about a 4R100 usually going 175,000 miles before a rebuild.

Depends on use, and if you're stock or modded. My 01 was modded and used hard, toasted the stock 4R100 in 37,000 miles.

I would install the BTS valve body at the same time or before the chip.

For additional cooling, you can swap in a 6.0 trans cooler.....over double the size of the 7.3 cooler.

Everyone has their personal preference on tunes, Jody has lots of happy customers, I've ran a few of his tunes in the past.

10. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

"where do you buy the dp tuner? how much? do i need to change the exhaust and intake? "
    For the tuner go straight to the source .
    http://www.dp-tuner.com/
    Veggin PSD hit it right on the head , make sure you have at least a Pyro gauge . Your truck sould have come with a trans gauge already so that shouldnt be a problem.
    You dont need to change the intake and exhaust but it really brings down the EGT,s . The usual route for upgrades starts with A) gauges
    B) exhaust
    C) intake
    D) Tuner
    E) WHATEVER YOU BROKE WHILE SHOWING OFF

11. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

FWIW, I'd still recommend an aftermarket trans temp gauge as the factory gauge isn't anything more than a glorified warning light.
    It's programmed not to move until it is already pretty Hot.
    Good pics showing the stock gauge compared to an autometer:
    http://www.itpdiesel.com/fordtransgauge.php

12. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Boy are you right about the "whatever you broke showing off"

I run my truck at truck pulls most every weekend in the summer........
    You don't really want to make plans to use it every Monday morning when you are doing that nonsence, but its a lot of fun,

I have some videos to post if anyones interested, including ripping a clevis out a reciever hitch on pull.......argh.......:cry:

13. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

Start a new post Veggin and throw those videos up:D. I always like watching other people break stuff LOL

14. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I should vinnie. When it let go, I thought somehow the sled hit me from behind! I sounded like a shotgun touched off inside the truck, (not that I would have any experience with that;)).

I'll try to get at that thread tomorrow. Gotta love good video of BLOWIN COAL!!!!!:D

15. EPPSLLC

EPPSLLC Senior Member

I had a TS chip but didn't like it . . . I have an edge evolution programmer now i like it ten times better

16. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Get something aftermarket thats popular, cause towing loaded trailers with that stock engine sucks big time! No power in mine going uphill with a loaded dump trailer....boggs down fast! chug-alug! ... incredibly thirsty on diesel too!

17. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree with everyone as far as the recommendations. Especially with DCspecial and a trans temp gauge. I would also recommend looking into the new F6 chip by DP tuner, you can update new tunes via email verses sending the chip back to Jody.

Take this for what it's work, if you are plowing with a 7.3 the trans cooler is much undersized for the duty and heat that is generated, this is mainly due to the fact the Torque converter never has a chance to lock-up under low plowing speeds and generates a lot of heat.

I have told this story before but a couple of years ago I was doing our camp road which had extremely compact snow, 2-3ft work, the camp road is about 1/4 mile long. About half way through I noticed my in dash trans gauge was approaching the yellow, knowing that the gauge is useless, my tranny fluid was basically over heated. The in-dash gauge actually runs off a timer not temperature.

Shortly after I had a set of gauge in, on the stock cooler the trans temps can easily get up to 200-225 while towing or plowing. 225-230 being the point where most people consider the fluid toast.

Solution for this is easy, install a 6.0 trans cooler (which is about 5 times the size)and never have to worry about it again, you're trans temp will never get over 165 under any plowing/towing conditions, and probably extend you're tranny life.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  18. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I was always confused why the V-10s had a larger cooler than the 7.3....didn't make any sense.

Ford must have realized it was a mistake when they came out with the monster 6.0 cooler.

19. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Never made any sense to me either on the V-10 cooler.

But hey the 6.0 cooler sure is a monster and I love it, some times I actually think my trans gauge isn't working because it takes awhile to come over 100 degrees.

20. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

For those interested,
    http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=480

I added a the TRU COOL 4739 leaving the junk stock on in place. I'm thinking about adding the V-10 hardware equipped on in place of the 28K stock cooler. I get to 200 degrees while plowing, but pulling my 30 foot camper in the summer only 135. Must have something to do with the TC lockup on my chip tuning......I may have to call Jody at DP about a tune that will lock the TC faster......I dunno....