1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3L oil leak on oil tube to filter?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mklawnman, Sep 5, 2010.

1. I have a leak near the oil filter assembly area. It looks like it is leaking where the pipe or tube goes into the filter assembly. I have no idea what that tube or line is called after doing some research. I am having someone look at it on Tuesday. But thought if anyone knows about this tube or pipe and if it has a O-ring by the fitting or what. Below is a picture and where the leak is coming from, and it is dripping when the oil gets warm.

Oil leak.jpg
  2. SIWEL

SIWEL Senior Member

That "Tube" is a heat exchanger. Through one side of it is engine oil and in the pipes that run trhu it is antifreeze ( i may have that backwards). This unit is used to cool the engine oil. There are O rings on either side of the heat exchanger where it goes into the mount your oil filter screws on. There is also a mount similar to the rear oil filter mount in the front. You need to drain your anti freeze out, then drain your engine oil out and it is a couple hour project to replace the O rings. If you call ford they will no what o rings you need, it is fairly common PM me if you get stuck

your exhaust mainfolds aren't looking to good. what year is the truck?
  3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

thats your oil cooler like said before. it may be rotted out too and leaking , i had to replace the one on my 97. a new cooler is around 300 bucks without the ends.