1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3L Advice needed

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by forbidden, Sep 8, 2011.

1. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Bad move of the decade, I traded my 01 F350 for the same truck when the 08 model came out. I am now in need of another truck and came across a damn good deal. The deal however has a couple of red flags, at the top of the flagpole.

$4000 for a crew longbox 4x4 dually, manual trans.
    2003 model year.
    7.3L is what the guy says is in it.

1) I was not aware that there was a 7.3L available in the 03 model year, was it available on on the first part of the 2003 year, perhaps it is still a 02 model although manufactured in 03?

2) He says piston#8 is toast. He says the truck will run but does not want to damage the thing any more than it already is. I have no idea as to the cost of this repair, although I will find out from the stealership tomorrow as to the cost of a repair vs. the cost of a Ford remanufactured with warranty. Warranty is a good thing for a truck that will have a trailer on it 6 days a week.

3) I know the 7.3L is a damn fine powerplant, at 263,000km on it, what other issues are known to crop up (mine had 120,000km on it when I traded it).

What it will be doing.

pulling a dump trailer.
    pulling a flatdeck with bobcat (s).
    pulling a 20ft cargo trailer.
    may get a dump box on it.
    may get my 810PP on it or a larger one.
    may get a sanding box.

Any comments, input positive or negative is welcomed (unless you are pro Dodge or pro GM then just move along please).

2. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

The 7.3 was offered the first half of 2003. These are great motors as you know. If you have the engine fixed, good mainatence will keep these on the road for a long time. I have 234,000 miles on my 99 7.3 and still running strong. I would have to guess that a ford reman is going to be in the $ 6,000 range plus install. Just a guess, you would be starting off fresh though so that would be nice.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

What's he mean # 8 is toast? It could mean a bad injector,valve or something. Not as bad as needing a new engine. Your kinda out in the woods up there, so your at the mercy of a Ford Stealership.The last time I was at my truck parts junk yard they had 3 used - 7.3's on pallets ready to ship for way cheaper the 6K. A 7.3 if it's taken care of will go well into 300,000 miles till it dies.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

What's he mean # 8 is toast? It could mean a bad injector,valve or something. Not as bad as needing a new engine. Your kinda out in the woods up there, so your at the mercy of a Ford Stealership.The last time I was at my truck parts junk yard they had 3 used - 7.3's on pallets ready to ship for way cheaper the 6K. A 7.3 if it's taken care of will go well into 300,000 + miles till it dies.

5. Holland

Holland Senior Member

if you do buy it, i'll have a 7.3 for sale shortly! 135K on it, out of an e-450 bus conversion, never pulled a day! let me know! I work on 7.3s and 6.0s everyday. the 7.3s are a great motor! good luck with whatever you decide!

6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I second Mick. What exactly is going on with #8? It's pretty rare to burn up a piston unless there was an injector malfunction that heated things up or he lost the sprayer that cools the bottom of the piston.

I know there have to be tons of diesel shops in Calgary with the tar sands and all. Find a good one and have them do a buzz test and contribution test. I'm betting it's just a bad injector. IIRC, the #8 cylinder can sometimes get starved of fuel because it's at the end of the line.

Worst case scenario is that you do need a new engine. $6-8K and you still have a truck that cost you a total of around $12k. Not a bad deal.

7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

We have an 03 with a 7.3L. Its a great truck just about 220k on it. You will want to replace the oil pan if you have to pull the engine anyway. Other than that (rusted out oil pans), they are great engines. Good luck with your search