1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 vs 6.0 Diesel engines

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by jcesar, Dec 7, 2006.

1. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

ok Diesel guys,
    Lets here the pros and cons of each engine. I am Contemplating a new diesel, and am almost positive on going Ford, but Not sure which engine I want. the 7.3 is tried and true, but the 6.0 is better fuel wise. Any lack on power, performance, etc?

2. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

I have had my 7.3 for five years and have no complaints at all, I know several people who have 6.0's and have owned 7.3's in the past most wish they still had their 7.3's.

The 6.0L had their advantages over the 7.3L but alot of people are saying after their 6.0l was reflashed most of the advantages went away: fuel mileage decreased, engines actually got louder, and performance was diminished. I do know a couple of 6.0 owners who are actually very pleased with their engine, they own late 05's, I'm under the strong impression anything in the 03, 04, and early 05's were the problem child's of FMC. I'm sure you will get some 6.0 owners who will say that the 6.0 were very good motors.... my question to them is ... why did Ford buy so many of them back? and why did Ford discontinue the motor?

I have alway's liked Ford trucks, but the day that Ford starting to design Power Stroke's harnesses, and controls, was the day that International started wash their hands on Ford's reliability. Ford should have continued to IH continue to provide the whole package, I think the 6.0L would be alive and well today, and a lot more Ford pick-ups would be in Customer's driveways rather than stuck on a dealers lot!

I know tomorrow I wouldn't be buying a New Ford, I'd be buying a Dodge with the Cummins, rather deal with the little fall apart issues, than the diagnostic bay of my local Ford Dealer. JMHO

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

it only lasted barely 3 years now theyre going to try another one lets see how this one goes

you said the 7.3 is tried and true go with it get it checked out like every used vehicle becasue it may have its own problems

4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen people with both and I am not sure where you heard the 6.0 gets better milage because everything I have seen is the exact opposite of that. My 7.3 gets 22 on the interstate stock, if you have a choice I would take a 7.3 anyday over the 6.0

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2004 6.0 Powerstroke....no problems with the truck at all. I have put roughly 20K on it since I bought it. I'm making an appointment as we speak for a oil leak though....no biggie, I only found it when I changed the oil the last time. I do like my 6.0, but I would take a 7.3 any day of the week. I love the sound of the 7.3's and Cummins'. When I was looking for a new truck, I wanted Dodge/Cummins first, then a Ford 7.3, then a Chevy/Duramax, and last Ford 6.0. The only reason I bought my 6.0 is because I got the truck for $5000.00 less than blue book. But I will say my truck has never lacked in power, and never, ever has let me down. Right now, my truck has an aftermarket straight piped exhaust but nothing else as far as modifications, and I get 20 mpg right now all the way around, city and highway. I would love to have a Cummins or 7.3, but I do love my 6.0! :) :)

6. BobC

BobC Senior Member

I have owned both and my 6.0 had more power and fuel economy until Ford did the reprogram. Now it behaves like 7.3 powerwise and fuel SUCKS!! Dropped 3mi. around town and about 4 highway. My 6.0 used to leave from a start than my 7.3. I believe the reprogram from Ford actually detuned the performance!!!!

7. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

7.3 is much better on fuel than the 6.0 I don't know where everyone else gets their numbers (off the display?) but when I crunch the numbers I get 10-11 towing a 3500lb trailer around town, 12-13 empty around town and about 15-16 on the highway. back down to 12 if I'm towing on the highway. I would actually drive my ford if I got 20 around town like some people claim.

8. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

I have a 6.0 and love it..the 7.3 was a reliable power plant..But i have had no problems with my 6.0, and know of many that are pulling bobcats daily with over 100k on them no real problems...fuel mileage is ok on mine 6 inch lift with 35s..my uncles got an 07 and he gets 20 with it...lariat package so it has the mileage calculator..either one would be a good choice...When you find have the dealer, or some one over on www.thedieselgarage.com run an oasis report that way you can see how many times and for what it was at the dealer for!
    Good luck!

9. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

i have had both i would take the 7.3 over the 6.0

10. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

If it was me I would buy the 7.3 over the 6.0. Go look on ebay at all the 7.3 with 300k on them just like the Cummins. You will be hard pressed to find a 6.0 with high miles on it. So if you are looking at a resale value 5 years down the road a 7.3 will be worth a 2k more than the 6.0. The 6.0 is like the Cadilac 4100 motor. You either got a good one or a junk one. But the word on the street was always to stay away from that motor. Being a Dodge guy I can tell you this. I loved the arguements on these board about whats better the 7.3 or the 5.9. Now all us Dodge guys do is laugh at the Ford owners who claim their 6.0 is a better motor. So buy the 7.3 they are a great motor and 5 years down the road see what the 6.4 does and maybe buy one of them.

11. BobC

BobC Senior Member

What are all the mods you list for?

12. BigDave12768

If you are asking about my mods. The Roktech sensor is a crank sensor that advances the timing 1 degree. Mac air box is a Cold air intake. Banks High ram open up the airway over stock into the manifold. It helps the turbo spool faster. And Quad zxt is a tow box 65/hp 190 tq. You add all these things together and I am leaving Powerjokes in breathing my smoke. But thats no to tough since the PowerJokes have a governor stopping them well before the Dodges 110mph

13. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

well......
    Thanks for all the info. Gonna do some more research, As i fell in lust with a new Cummins today. Drove it. It is B A D
    Gotta do some thinking. Might go with a mitsubishi:nono:

14. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

finally some one that tell's the truth about mileage:nono: . i thought that i was the only one that got that kind of mileage.:salute:

15. tanker6

tanker6 Member
    from CT

The 6.0liter hasen't been discontinued and won't be anytime in the foreseable future. Yes the 6.4 is coming soon, but duw to all the tubing and the new fuel system it won't be possiable to get the 6.4 into van applications. Therefore while truck owners get the 6.4 vans get the 6.0. And I laugh at the dodge dealership thats ground is contaminated from leaking automatic trans.

16. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Big Dave that is what I thought. My evaluation of 7.3 & 6.0 are for factory stock not modified. I would expect any truck to perform better with the mods you did. My son did similar to his dodge and it barks well when he gets on it, I just don't want to spend hundreds to make a truck perform I'll pick the factory setup.

17. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

I've owned both and have no problems with my 6.0. I would not go back to my 7.3. There was nothing wrong with it, but the new motor/transmission combo are just sick. Chris

18. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I had the 7.3 and had no issues with it. In fact it treated me good. The 6.0 I stayed away from as a couple of people I know had Ford buy em back.

They all have issues though. The 7.3 has cackling issues. Ford said it was normal:confused: :nono: but hey.....they all lie.

I'd go 7.3.

19. BigDave12768

Yes but the Powerstroke and the Cummins are worlds apart when it comes to motors. The Motor that comes in a Dodge also come in the FL60 which has a GVWC of 64k. So the Dodge is detuned and very easy to get tons of power out of it. So i will chose the medium duty motor of the pick up truck motor

20. BigDave12768

Hey tanker look again. I think they are going to stop them in the vans also. They already stop the dall diesels in th 15 passanger vans. So the work vans are not far behind. Plus Dodge is killing them with the Sprinter. Bigger van and get 30mpg's. So look for a redesgin of the Ford van and then getting the 6.4 or a smaller motor. But the main the thing is Ford is dropping the contact with Navistar. Too many problems