1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 Value

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kimber750, Feb 18, 2013.

1. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Have a friend call me today and ask if I want the 2000 F450 that has been sitting in his repo yard for the past 7-8 years. No title, 6 speed, 2wd, no rear axle, utility body in rough shape and been hit on passenger side. So the only thing I would be interested in is the engine but a bit concerned since it has been sitting for so long. Truck says it has 180k on it. He is planning to have scrap guy haul it off for $150 if I don't want it. My question is, is it worth my time to tear the engine out. For all I know the thing is rusted solid with all kinds of critters living in it. Would any of you buy it for $150? Plus I gotta get it towed out of there. Gonna go take a look tomorrow.

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I would buy it to get parts off for superdutys.

3. kimber750

I also don't have alot of room left to store parts. Most the the body parts are dented or rusted. Would just hate to pass up a spare 7.3 but don't want a money pit.

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i would pay $1000 well worth the 150 trans is worth a grand

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'll make you a real offer if you have a way to get it to NW IN/ Chicago

6. kimber750

Had no plans to keep tranny since my truck is auto. Just got off phone with another friend that has auto shop just down the road from where the truck is sitting, he will pull the engine if I let him keep the truck for scrap. He is even gonna drag it down to his shop. My guess is that something happened to the rear axle in the truck since that is the only thing missing. So looks like I am gonna be the proud owner of a spare 7.3. I will get some pics of it tomorrow.

7. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I'd probably buy that motor off of you if you were slightly closer to RI.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Wow that's great! Good to hear.

9. kimber750

Knew the motor was worth the $150, just wasn't sure I wanted to put the time or money into having the truck moved and pulling the motor. Now that I have found someone willing to do all that for me it seems to be a no brainier. Really wish it had an auto in it thou. Think my tranny will go long before my engine.

10. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if you want to get rid of the trans, let me know what you want for it.
    i know 3 people wanting to do the 6 speed swap..