1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 rebuild cost

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by beanz27, Feb 12, 2014.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So my main truck burns too much oil while not really being worked. It should be fine till spring, but looking at a summer rebuild. 290k, but pulled a S650 on a 18` flatbed, so maybe 12k tops, in 80 miles, burnt about 1 1/2-2 qaurts of oil.

I love the 7.3, had a few, one with over 600k stills runs and gets used, original engine.

Had 2 quotes, $4000 just the block, and $6800 everything, and broke in. By everything I mean everything, turbo, oil, and fuel pumps, etc. Both were with me taking out of truck, and shipping to them.

Those prices high? Using all Ford parts apparently.

2. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

that seems like a lot to me. One option, you can get lower mileage used engines for usually around $1000. That is the route I would go myself

3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Good price for a rebuilt long block

4. rjm06590

rjm06590 Member
    from de

12 valve swap for me. Already have one done and when the other 7.3 goes (290k) it will get one too.

5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Thats one option but it will be pulling heavy trailers all summer, I am thinking rebuild so I can build it more powerful.

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You can justify putting $7k in a truck with 300k+ miles and at least 10 years old?

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Not having emissions to deal with. Tried and true motor. Easier to work on then newer models.
    I think its a f-650 so its well worth it

8. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I love the way you think....

:mechanic:

9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

350, realistically not very smart, but its already set up, everything is wired, and I love the OBS fords.

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Personally I'd get a 97-01 block and run it. They had forged rods and are more stout than the 02+ PMR engines.

For $4000 you could build a pretty powerful 7.3 block outside of a standard rebuild.

11. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Yeah but think about outside of the motor. 300k miles on a truck is getting to the point where you start putting serious money in it of you haven't already

The 7.3 was a good motor. It's just old technology now. But they have a cult following. I know you know that

I personally think 6.0 and newer are easier to work on. Nothing like plugging a laptop in and telling me exactly what's going on lol

12. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Ive been thinking about getting one, but I am leary of them. 300k is a lot, and I`ll need to put money into it. Smart move would be selling it, but I love this truck.

13. damian

damian Senior Member

A smarter move would be to try to find the source of your oil consumption. Anyone steering you into a 6.0l is leading you astray. 6.0 are for those who are able to repair them themselves,or folks with money to spend, period. Bad injector o-rings and internal injector leakage is the most likely cause of your oil consumption,followed by a leaking turbo. Crack a service manual and measure your crankcase pressure. a well maintained 7.3 will do over 300000 easy, we've seen many examples. 7.3 limitations seem to be the body rot and general truck condition as the engine out-lasts its holder as is with the cummins. Good luck and always be leary of internet advice.

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Seriously? I didn't recommend a 6.0. I prefer moder motors that's all I said.

There's nothing wrong with 6.0s. If you get an 05+ they have a larger dowel pin size which helps with the head gasket issues. If you put studs and a delete on it you'll have a very reliable motor. Plus a nicer truck. More power, quieter ride, and a lot nicer interior

I would recommend a job 2 6.4 as well. They are very nice as we'll and easy to make reliable

You said it yourself. The truck rots around the motor.

15. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

And here comes a 6.0 hater to troll the thread......

16. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

New vers old. You plug a laptop in. I don't. I'm sure you have some type of training on the newer stuff from a class stand point.
    Taking about putting money into something, you said a 300 k 7.3 wasn't worth it, then you stated putting studs and egr delete in. Don't that cost money? So where are you drawing the line, at the motor or the body?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  17. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

I understand what you're saying. And no training just ALOT of experience lol. Almost any car on the road today I can use my scanners to find out exactly what is wrong with them.

I was a master tech before I went into business my self

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You could also buy a Cummins or a Duramax and be good to go. I find it completely ridiculous to go spend 30-40k or more on a new diesel truck and then have to put more money into the engine to "make it reliable". Personally I'd go with a newer gas job if you're not doing a lot of pulling. There is a lot to be said though for that certain ride we all like a little too much. I did the same with an old car of mine. Couldn't bring myself to let it go until I spent way too much on it.

19. damian

damian Senior Member

You got it all wrong, I'm a 6.0 lover, they are always at my shop one after another, cabs off, engines apart,injectors,ficms,egrs, oil coolers,holes in blocks,hp leaks ,you name it ,we love em.

20. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Well I went to tech school, so Im bot afraid of doing the work, just looking to see what my options are. Diesel is the only way for me.

Alright moving on. I`m looking at buying a TS tuner 6 way, everyone says it was the best thing they did when they bought a chip....anyone have personal use here?