1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 psd

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PLOWMAN45, Nov 6, 2004.

1. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

anyone have problems with there 7.3 im looking at 97 F250 psd just was wondering

2. POWERSTROKEFURY

POWERSTROKEFURY Junior Member

Reply to 7.3

Compared to the 6.0L, the 7.3L is like comparing a Ford to a Chevy hahaha. But honestly, the 7.3L is a strong motor. I have an F-350 1 Ton dump. We have a 9' V-Plow on it, 4:10 gears, haul a trailer and John Deer all summer, and put 5 yards of stone on it with helper springs. Not one single problem with this truck. Be sure to change air/fuel filters. You will notice a dramatic decrease in power if you don't do this. But other then that, I'm sure you know what Ford is all about.

3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I have a 96' and a 00' 7.3 and neither one of them have given me any trouble to speak of. I have made a few minor repairs but all in all they have treated me right. About the only common problem people have with them is the CPS but it is an easy fix. I say go for it. The 97' in my opinion has the best body style Ford ever made.

4. HayBay

HayBay Junior Member
    from Ontario

95 PSD Here

Good vehicle. No major problems with mine, just need to use thinner engine oil in the colder seasons and keep the truck plugged in on cold days. If you need parts contact an International Parts dealer they are cheaper than FORDs.

5. hilltopfarm

hilltopfarm Junior Member

96 psd

I own a 1996 Powerstroke F250 with the solid front axle. I love the truck Planning on putting a fisher plow on it this year. Pulls like crazy and can move for a diesel truck

Best of Luck

6. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

97 psd

I have a 97 psd 350 dump 4x4 , bought it new and now have almost 100 thous miles. Plowing winters and used dailiy in my two man construction company. I've been very happy with it. No mayor problems except rebuilding the auto tranny at 66 thou. All and all I can honestly say that I love this truck! I plan on using one more year, then going new again and keeping it for my second truck.
    Hope this helps Good Luck.
    Nailit :waving:

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You really can't go wrong with that year PSD we have like 30 ambulances with that engine and they go on and on. Running strong at 250K + . I have Been driving them since they came out, I rather drive a PSD then a 460!
    The weak point is the transmissions, they die pretty regularly!!!
    (30 truck + fleet) ( ten different drivers a week)
    We have a spare in the shipping case sitting in the parts cage ready to go.
    If you buy it and the tranny dies later on, just have a heavy duty rebuild done and it will be OK.

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't trade mine for anything. No problems at all.