1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 preformance ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Jay brown, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

recently i purchased a 89 international tractor truck to replace our 2000 f 550, due to the increased DOT presence on the highways, and the fact that we were grossing 39k. the NA 7.3 in the 89 is rated @ 160hp and the f 550 PSD is @235hp, with the very low gearing in the 89, i thought it would pull ok compared to the f550. i was wrong, it has some power issues for the weight that i'm hauling. i would rather not sell the truck. anyone have any general ideas to increase the hp and the apx $ it could cost. or would it be better to find a new motor for it? also it has a 5 speed for gears.
  2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Sad to say...

Sad to say, should have held out for a DT466.
    The 6.9 and 7.3 in the S series are gutless.From my experience you'd be lucky to have any road speed over 55mph once you get it to pull.
    Gearing, maybe a two speed rear end would help but they are limited.
    You did a nice job on the rehab,looks good.

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

The DT 466 is a hell of a motor!!!!!!! I have owned three of them they are pretty darn close to bullet proof.
  4. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Just saw this...

This just came out in the local classifieds;
    Don't know how the auto would be??? Probably low on the highway speed.

1988 Int DT466 Diesel - $6,750
    auto, CDL cheater, newer nose, drs upgrade, great chassis for dump, 10’ P/A pwr-angle plow, runs great
    Date posted: 3/15/2007 11:24:12 AM
    No. Reading, MA
    Phone: (617) 908-8139

1988 DT466.jpg
  6. EFI

EFI Member
    from NH / NB

466s are indestuctable with very little maintenance.