1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 Powerstroke Coolant Filtration

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by FordFisherman, Mar 12, 2009.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Does anyone run a coolant filter on their 7.3? Pros/ Cons and any other info appreciated.
  2. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

I wound not bother, and if you are running extended life coolant, there is no ned for it, if you run green the only thing it really does is add dca to the system when you change it, most people forget to change it anyways, ihave seen some on big trucks rust threw and start leaking because it was thee so long. also most big trucks don't even come with coolant filters anymore.
  3. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I will surprise you how many people suggest running coolant filters on a 7.3, they are cheap insurance and to what?

The fact that 7.3s are know for having grit floating around the coolant system, you can do the searching and find countless people that install coolant filters, run the truck for a few days, come back change out the filter and cut into in to the filter to fine out what it picked up, usually there is a teaspoon or two work of grit floating around, this is one reason why 7.3s water pumps tend to wear out.

I plan on putting one on mine, it will no doubt extend the life of your water pump.
  4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

and then there are a lot more people that save their money and dont put one on, and still got 300,000+ miles out of their engines and waterpumps.
  5. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

I got one on mine worth the $ 86.00 and like what was said earlier will save the water pump alittle longer