1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 poor starting condition

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SteveR, Jun 15, 2009.

1. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I have a 99 with a 7.3 that wont start without being plugged in no matter what the weather. I have replaced the glow plugs and had the relay tested soo not glow plugs. It "gallops" like its going to start but just wont. Not even at 80 degrees out. Once it starts once its fine for the day..NO CODES
    My mechanic has done some research and found a guy he knows at a ford dealership that claims its injectors. I trust him but it still doesn't seem right that heat in the block would fix an injector issue. Should I bite the 3000 dollar bullet or does anybody have any other ideas..

THANKS

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM -- most help sites you need to become a memeber to be able to post questions.

Search the Internet, I can't find my links to other places. One is diesel shop I think. Do research before you even think of spending money. It's rare to have starting problems with a 7.3. They are pretty much bullet proof. I have driven them in ambulances since they came out. Very rarely do they fail to start or are hard to start.

3. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

I wouldn't use PowerStrokehelp.

Ford-trucks.com has a large number of very knowledgeable people. I am a member there and I have yet to have an issue with my truck that they couldn't diagnose and help solve.

I even had one guy who was nice enough to drive down to CT from Mass. to help me install gauges and an exhaust onto my truck. Can't beat that. Good people on FTE.

4. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

My Excursion started to do this, I replaced the Cam positioning Sensor and all was well again, might be worth the $60 and give it a try?

5. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

6. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

buddy was having the same kinda problems on his excursion also and thats what the dealer did, was a big recall for a while. so many were defective heard the dealers couldnt keep up with the demand and people had to wait a long time to get em changed.

7. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Starting

Done that Twice

8. 7.3 Plower

7.3 Plower Senior Member

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would tend to think something is up with the glow plug circuit. If the block heater is plugged in and starts this seems to be a big clue. Keep in mind, a part store guy told me 1 in 10,000 parts are bad right out of the box. I seem to be Mr. 10,000 more then my share! I would clip a test light to the glow plug circuit and see if it's getting power. For the amount of time it calls for on a cold start. I have had 2 diesel vehicles.Both 4 cylinder diesels. Even if only 2 of the glow plugs were working they would still start rather roughly. But they did start. It may even be something stupid like the oil pressure sensor. It could be close to the heater and it works when warm. When cold it sends the no oil pressure reading.

10. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

No Start

I have checked the relay..Its ok But even without glow plugs it should start when its 80 out.

11. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

12. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Check the alternator and see if it is functioning properly

13. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Gotta agree on this one...found his site quite informative.

QUOTE]

I would. Theres a ton of information on his site and instead of reading for hours, you can watch videos while he's showing you the parts to look at, and I believe crappy starting with 7.3s can be due to injectors, look for his videos explaining the high pressure oil system, if your injectors are gummed from not changing the top end oil that could very well be the starting issue.[/QUOTE]

14. 92 Pete

92 Pete Junior Member
    from IL

Mine had the same problem, what fixed it was cleaning the egr tube at the back of the motor by the turbo. I replaced glow plugs, relays , harnesses, ecm injectors. Started at 90,000 miles fixed at 125,000 have 240,000 now. hope this helps Ben

15. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

ICP sensor!!! That could be possible starting issues.

Also, check your oil dipstick if its really low on oil, it may be possible fault too! Top it up.

16. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

I was driving our the company cube van down a country road and had it die in the middle of nowhere on me, first thing I checked was the oil. They aren' t lying, the 7.3s wont run 6 litres low on oil. Never taking it back to the shop that changed it again.