1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 owners

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowish10, Oct 17, 2014.

1. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

What weight of oil you run during the winter and summer-- 15w40, 5w40, or 5w40 full syn?

I run 15w40 right now, thinking about switching over to 5w40 syn. What are your thoughts on this? I have a 01 7.3, she leaks a very small amount out of the ebpv. I'm worried shes going to get more leaks with the syn.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

15w40 amsoil

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

15w40 Rotella for the past 140k, never had any issues.

4. snowish10

I've been run rotella 15w40, but just worried about hard starts again this winter when left unplugged for a long time.

5. kimber750

I am in desperate need of glow plugs. An hour plugged in and fires right up if it has been sitting. Never had any trouble cranking with Rotella even on the coldest days. Even when I get around to putting glow plugs I will still plug it in.

6. snowish10

how many miles you have on your 7.3? That only problem I had starting my truck was when it sat this winter for 7 hours when it was -11 with the wind. The other times wasnt to bad off starts.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

How hard of a start

8. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I started to run 5w40 all the time and since then I have never had to plug it in again! Before then if it wasn't plugged in the truck wouldn't want to start once the temps started dipping below 32.

9. snowish10

Well it was -11 wind the wind last winter, my truck sat for 7 hours. I did find out a month go i had a bad glow plug relay, so that may have had something to do with it. But it was a really hard start probably took a good 10 mins, to finally get her to turn over, but like I said it was negative 11 with the wind.

My truck has 191500 on her now so may its time to change the glow plugs.

The only time my truck is not plugged in is either when I go to school or not at my house.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

That wind is really bad for diesels.

11. kimber750

198k, 2002 F350 cclb. Started out as my tow rig for snowmobile trips. Turned it into a plow truck 6 years ago. Rust is my biggest enemy, slow taking the old girl away from me.

12. snowish10

Why you say that?

13. snowish10

Some sandblasting and some por 15 with be your bestfriend trust me. I did it to my doors and oil pan, 99% is rust free now expect for the couple areas i couldnt clean very well.

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have a 99 F350 7.3 and always ran 15w40 never had problems starting during the deep cold spell we had last winter The only problem I had was one night it wanted to gel up Thinking its hitting 100k Its not a every day truck but during winter time its a plow truck summer time its a towing truck big loads or haul cattle

15. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

15/40 MOTORCRAFT/valvo SYNTHETIC..they love it

16. snowish10

Would the synthetic make the 15w40 easier to start?

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Hahaha.... We shouldn't have Diesels in the windy city.....

Adam, the wind doesn't have a chill effect on Equipment

18. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

not at all . plug that beach in . i really think it depends on the type tunes n stix ur runnin too

19. snowish10

My truck loves the block heater lol

20. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

15-40 valvoline all fleet. starts rite up even at 10 below , and i only plug in if i know i will be going out plowing.
    do not use synthetic if you have any kind of leak, it will find the leak and make it worse.