1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 or 6.0 what to buy?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PTTP08, Aug 25, 2012.

1. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I am in the market for a new truck. I have all ways ran the gasser trucks for years but all my peeps run the diesal trucks. I love the power and the mileage is better pulling a trailer I just proved that today as I borrowed one and pulled my lawn trailer and saved 40 bucks in fuel compared to my gas truck. I beat the cancer this year (stage 4) so I said "self you live once just freakn buy one all ready! HAHA

My question is this I know diesals are more maintenance and all that stuff. But I prefer the 7.3 as I kinda know these motors and the flaws or lack there of. But it is getting harder to find the 7.3 in my neck of the woods. So what is the 6.0 like? What are the flaws?? I have seen them in the lot with 220k miles to 50k miles so that is a wide range for the market of resale. All the 7.3's on the lot all seem to have 200k plus miles on them which tell me that it is a good motor.

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if you can, buy direct from the owner and not from a car lot. the lot will jack the price up, usually double what they paid for it.
    the 6.0 engine is not bad after some tinkering. the most important things to do are head studs and head gaskets, oil cooler replacement, EGR delete, and EGR cooler delete.

3. PTTP08

PTTP08 Senior Member
    from mn

I just seen a 6.0 with 220k on it and the guy wants 3800 bucks!! Is this to good to be true or is the right price?

4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

No that price is definitely wrong! He probably means he will pay YOU $3800 to come get the truck. Just kidding, I'm on my second 7.3 and I like them. They do have their problems though. Don't let the cronies tell you they're perfect. With a good chip they have nice power and decent mileage. Most diesel mechanics LOVE the 6.0 though because they buy them cheap from people who are scared of them, put a couple hundred worth of parts and some labor to it and you have a much better than 7.3 truck. It's one or the other though. Alot of blind followers of the 7.3 that would never own a 6.0.
    "All 6.0s are junk. Just ask a guy with a 7.3 who doesn't know how to do maintenance."

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Seems like we have done this before, but here I go anyway. The 6.0 isn't a horrible engine if you leave it bone stock, and follow the maintenance plan to a T in my opinion. We have several of them in our fleet of buses and have very little problems with them, again they are bone stock. As far as a 7.3 goes, they were a much more reliable engine in my opinion. Both of them have their flaws, but I think in the end, you will have less headaches with a 7.3.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

x2. I like the 7.3 trucks but I'd run a properly altered 6.0 any day of the week and not worry. Around here you'll pay much more for a clean 7.3 then a clean 6.0. The 6.0 is cheaper, has a better front end (05+), better trans, nicer interior, and more power. If you know how to do the work yourself or know someone who is willing to work on it for a reasonable rate then I'd buy a 6.0, delete the egr, new oil cooler, any needed updates, exhaust, tuner, and let it rip.

And another bonus about running a healthy 6.0.... there's no other truck on the market that sounds like they do when your running them hard.

7. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Guess I'm one of the blind 7.3 owners. Give me 7.3s all day long over the 6.0. I will give you that the shop I was using for some of my work was the problem, but still, I have spent enough money on 2 of my 6.0s in the past 12 months to pay for a new to me 7.3. Or a mower. Or a good used skid steer. Or a down payment on a JD 5101e. Or a bonus.

The 7.3 issues are mostly rust. Other than the oil pan replacement, repairs are much cheaper than anything on the 6.0.

My mechanic loves the 6.0 as well, because of the revenue it provides for him. FWIW, he used to work for a Lincoln dealer and was regularly in the top 2 FoMoCo mechanics in the country. So he knows whereof he speaks.

Signed
    Blinded and poor 7.3 owner.

PS I have 4 7.3s and 3 6.0s. All receive scheduled maintenance and I still have issues with the 6.0s. And for the most part, none of the issues these guys keep bringing up. Yet.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Head studs and gaskets are tinkering?

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

yup. it is better than doing an engine replacement.

10. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

So's the rest of that stuff.

Cleaning the turbo.

Replacing injectors.

Oh yeah, the oil pans on 6.0s rust through too.

Fuel pump.

STC fitting.

Starters crapping out without warning.

And when those metal o-rings go on the injectors and you can't find one of the pieces and then it gets stuck in of the bazillion sensors\pumps that create low pressure oil so you can build high pressure oil so your injectors can fire or you can't find it and IH recommends you tear the engine down until you do find it.

Just tinkering though.

And I really love the exhaust odor in the cab when cold that has now returned. It started when it was new, went away and is now back.

But yeah, they're great engines that mechanics the world over are buying up..........so they have parts.

11. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I love my 6.0 i have 170,000 and had to do a few things like egr delete get rid of stock exhaust and put a chip on it and am getting 16 to 18 mpg the trans in a 6.0 is a torch shift and are awesome I plow with a couple guys with 7.3 and are on there 2nd and 3rd trans mine is still plugging along with regular maintance. If you stay on top of your 6.0 and find a good mechanic not at a dealer you will be fine. Ask around where you live I am sure ppl know if a good one or two. I would not be affraid to buy another one in a heart beat mine has an Edge juice with attitude platinum tuner and put it on tow it is a power house havent hooked to a load I couldnt pull yet a few a 1 ton shouldnt have but turned up the fuel and put it in tow haul and down the road i went

12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Whats a torch shift??? Sorry, I couldn't resist:laughing:

13. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

Sorry stupid auto correct the thing Steve Jobs has not perfected. Torque shift is what I meant

14. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Just had to give you a hard time. I'm not perfect by any means, I knew what you were talking about, it just makes me laugh sometimes to see things spelled wrong and it totally changes the meaning:salute:

15. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I figured it was just a good laugh. Someways you are te one laughing and someways you are the one everyone is laughing at

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Somedays you're the windshield.....

17. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

only problem I have had with my 6.0 was a hit and run driver, ive been running 160 HP tune for the last 60k, less issues then my 7.3s. that being said my next truck will be ordered with the 6.2 V8 gas, no fuel additives, no plugging in, not monthly load testing batteries and alternator to worry about the FICM, No $150 synthetic oil changes no warming up/cooling down the truck etc, Just get in, turn key, drive.

how big is your lawn trailer? do you NEED a diesel or WANT a diesel, no problem in wanting something, but its going to cost you more then what could get the job done cheaper, regardless of what diesel you buy.

18. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

Hey mustang man a buddy of mine just bought a new v8 and it has a block heater and when he asked ford they recommended plugging it in when it gets in te 20's. May want to check into that his truck came out of northern michigan

19. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

most gas jobs have the option for the heater, ive never seen one that needed a block heater even though it will help with cold starts. my 04 has started in -10 degree weather no problem before, it just starts easier with the heater and doesnt need to warm up as much.

20. fireside

fireside Senior Member

If you are looking for a 6.0 or a 7.3. the 7.3 is what you want hands down. The 6.0 will cost you thosands to keep it on the road. Why should you have to spent thosands to take the engine apart and fix the problems that ford knows about? Just the upgraded parts are $3000 to $5000 if you do everything including injectors thats PARTS only. Those costs don't include the maintance part altannators,starts My advise as a past owner run and run fast from the 6.0 ford.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012