1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 oil pan repair

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by earnies2, May 30, 2007.

1. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

I was just down a friend's shop and he showed me a new product he has maid for our oil pans....he maid a fiberglass cover from a 7.3 pan that fits like a glove...all you do is drain your oil and remove your filter clean and sand your pan coat it with a special 2 part poxie that is used in the aircraft indestries...install the fiberglass cover replace your old oil filter and place wood wedges between the cover, and your starter ,and your oil filter, and the belhousing also place 2 blocks under the cover and place a jack under the pan to apply slight pressure to the cover until the epoxie cures (8 hours i belive it fuly cures in 30 hours) after it cures remove the wedges replace your oil filter with a new one and add oil ...you will never have a leaky pan again.... and you didnt have to remove your engine I think he has the right idea I m thinking of doing my new pan just to protect it from rusting out. He thinking about markiting them for $300.00 and i think that is a fair price the epoxie is $100 alone than he has to have the cover made for him I think its a great idea......what do you guys think????

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

my 89 7.3L has a cover on it from the factory. looks to be insulated plastic.

3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It would be alot cheaper than the way it's done now.

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

That sounds like a great idea. I'd try one before pulling the engine to get to the oil pan. I bet at $300 he'd make a killing!

5. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

I bet. My buddy owns a repair shop and we spent 5 hours today pulling a 7.3 out of a 2000 E-350 van just to replace the oil pan and high pressure oil pump. Interesting, but not a fun job at all. Maybe we'll have it back in by tomorrow (if the pump shows up on time).

6. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

So you're saying sand the oil pan in place and do it all while attached?

7. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

All done with the oil pan in the truck you dont pull the motor.........it's a great idea