1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 heating up?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by beanz27, Dec 23, 2013.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So I have a 97 7.3 powerstroke, new thermostat, and yes it worked when it was put in, new antifreeze flush with it 2 months old. I have a cover on the grill.

Granted it's cold as sh*t out, but still should be warmer running. Temp outside is around -20 plus wind chill. When it's warmer out, as in 30's, it runs between N and O on Normal.

Truck puts out heat, but temp gauge doesn't even get to normal. Warms up to bottom of temp gauge, but no where near "normal." Any ideas on how to make it warm up a bit better? I let it run 15 min before I drive it, and if I let it idle for a bit after I've ran it, cools way down to where it would be if I shut it off.

Thermostat is a 192 degree unit, I've never had any issues with a 7.3 running this cold before, and I've had 3 before this one.

Anything I can do, aside from putting a 200-215 thermostat in it? I pull heavy things in the summer, need it to stay cool when it's 90 degrees out.

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

put a real temp gauge to it, or an infrared temp gauge to the T-stat housing. the gauge in the dash is a glorified idiot light. it really don't do anything besides move the needle to let you know the sending unit is still working.
    i have seen them sitting on N when the other sensor trips the light on.

3. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Thats kinda what I guessed too, I know ford gauges are a joke, especially their oil pressure gauge, basically has 3 positions, off, on, and Holy sh*t this is to high, I'll see if I can get a infrared temp reader on it soon.

4. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I put cardboard behind the grill. When it is this cold mine will not heat up. I have it cut out for the trans cooler.

5. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Diesels run cold at idle. On the bigger Diesels you can idle them all day and they will not get hot.

6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs Up

This. Some scanners will even tell you the actual coolant temp as well.

7. BossPlowMaster

BossPlowMaster Senior Member

I can let my 6.0 idle for 30 min and it will barely creep up on being warm.... LOTS OF COOLANT to heat up in a diesel.

8. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

I had a 570 running for 2 hours this morning at it was only at 120.

9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Oh I know that, I'm not new to diesels by any means. Even working it, well as much as you can work a diesel pushing snow, barely gets it to N on normal. My 99, 95, and 01 warmed up quicker.

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Might want to think about putting.in a 203 t-stat. If your trk is all up to spec it should handle it no problem

11. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Yeah, I think I'll do that, then we'll see if I have to switch it out to a 192 for summer.