1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 Fuel Milage?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ole Tower, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I have a 7.3 & its getting Poor Fuel milage--STOCK--its an Auto & runs Good & at 50 MPH tack says just over 1,000 RPMs in over drive glanching at the fuel Gage once in a while I can see it going Down aprox 1/4? of a Tank running around 20 miles or So? I*D Guess? I*m getting about? 10-12? if That?? Any Suggestions! --OleTower--
  2. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 1995 7.3 Auto I get 22 MPG all I did was straight pipe and super chip it.
  3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

2001 F250 Crew Cab Auto 14-16 mpg

2001 F450 10' Dump Auto 8-10 mpg is im lucky
  4. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I think you'd want to check your mileage the standard way. Typically you wouldn't get the same mileage out of the top 1/4 fourth of the tank as you would out of the lower 1/4 of the tank. I don't think the gauges are intended to be that accurate. Do you get me? I mean the top quarter on the gauge may actually be reading 7 gallons while the lower quarter of the tank may read 5 gallons. Your truck still gets the same mileage but the gauge isn't dividing the tank in equal quarters.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  5. bobcat s-160

bobcat s-160 Senior Member
    from MI

I have a 1999 f-350 powerstroke 7.3 and i'm getting about 20 mpg everything is stock
  6. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

The tank is an odd shape and you will see big movement for the first half tank ( at least in my 02 f250) . The only real way to check mileage is to fill up and clear the trip meter. when you fill up again be sure to go back to the same pump and copy the way you filled it the first time. When its full just divide the mileage on the trip meter by the gallons it took to fill up.
  7. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

I can achieve 22MPG without my foot in it xysport My truck is entirely stock, with the 6-speed manual, 4x4, and 285 tires.

8. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

mines a 96 w/ 4.10 gears & New 235-85-16 tires in two wheel dive I put in $33.00 oF Fuel--8.3 gallons tank registed 3/4 full drove about 20 ? miles & went Home Fuel tank registed? an 1/8 inch under 1/2 tank! & I drove IT real EASY! MY FIRST small Diesel in a pick UP! so I Dono? but My Antique 71 KW Wrecker w/ a Cummins seems to get BETTER Milage! I gave thought? to many yrs Ago! when GAS first started Climbing I had a Big Olds w/ a Big V-8 & a Freind had a VW & allways Telling of His Hi Fuel milage?-so WE took a gallon plastic Milk JUG & tried Both--His VW got 22 & a Hair above? My Olds got 17.5 same Road same Speed! HE drove the VW Dealer NUTS & here I have to LAUGH! Winter Came & it was Real COLD He was Freezing to Death? had the VW Dealer install a GAS Heater!-- We took a Trip in his VW now Nice & toasty WARM! but Hew as only getting--15? to the Gallon-- & It rode like a Buck Board! & very Cramped!-next Trip I took My OLDS! & in my Opinion? those Suggested Fuel milage Stickers! placed in windows! LIE!--just as soon as I Can? Mines going to get the Plastic Milk Jug Tests!--OleTower--
  9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have drove 7.3''s since they came out in Ambulance's. They are loaded a bit with weight. We average about 16 MPG in the City for the most part. It's double what the 460 gas used to get.Wait till you push some snow then you will see why a diesels a good deal!
  10. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Well Guys I filled it & drove over 100 miles & filled it Again--Same Hose--same Station--& the numbers are--13.6 best I can Figure!--mines Stock as far as I Know!--& I drove it EASY--next improvement--4 inch single Exhaust--I have looked the stock Air Box over & See NO problem in building a Better One!--I Dono? nothing about Chips? & I can BUY a lot of Fuel for the Prices their Asking! I know larger Tires would Help! but Mine are all NEW so they will have to Wait! She runs SUPER! Rides Good for a One Ton more than enough Power! handels Great & its Fun to Drive! w/ No RAttles--YET--WE LOVE IT now to Get better Fuel Milage?--Ole Tower--
  11. eclmech

eclmech Junior Member

I drive a 96 F350 Dually with a service body loaded with tools. The truck weighs 10300 lbs with me in it and it is also 4x4 with 4.10 axles totally stock and I get a solid 18 mpg combined and I don't baby it at all. Yours sounds low to me.
  12. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Hi eclmech I just got It my firt Fuel milage Check 13.6 as near as I could Figure! giving thought? to adding a Streight Pipe! as I looked at Chips a Bit Expensive? I*D check E-BAY if I knew what to Look For? but Don*t--I have 235s all new Rubber so 285s will have to WAIT I*LL buy a better Air filter & Rig UP a Better Air Box as I was Hoping?? for a bit over 15?--as its a daily driver I*M New at this Small Diesel Stuff! but I*LL get There! & I*M open to any Suggestions!--Ole Tower--
  13. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Ole-T have you fixed your fuel leak yet?
    Is this city or highway mileage?
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  14. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

In my opinion a 100 mile trip is kinda short for worrying about fuel mileage, but a lot better than the earlier 20 mile trips. I would keep tabs for a couple of tanks and average them. Also do not compare OBS and Super Duty, and of course Cummins fuel mileage numbers, they are quite different, I know because I own all three. I would avoid buying a chip from e-bay, they will have no dealer warranty or tech support. Quite a few of them have been found to be fraudulent.
  15. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I went from CT to Mid west and then TX and back to CT and got 20mpg the whole trip.
    The only thing on mine is no cat and it's 2x4 Towing only.
    Did you check for fuel leaks under the hood?
    Is it running ruff?
    What year is it a powerstroke?
    Was it better before or did it just get bad latly?
  16. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Now the trip Dan took is a good long trip to get an average mpg.
    Yes he had or does have a fuel leak at the lift pump. ( a sizeable leak, he said it was close to a steady stream in another thread.)
    It has been running good.
    Look at post #8
    I don't know the answer to the last question you asked.
    But like I said comparing mpg of a SD compared to a OBS is not a good comparison. But I agree his mpg is poor.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  17. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Yes the Fuel Leak is Fixed! & seeing our SON just Returned from IRAQ his Finaly third Tour Safe & Sound! Hes driven the Ford & likes It! & in referance to my Milage Problem? its now got 190,000 Would a Tune UP be in Order? & Who? do you Suggest?? DO IT? FORD? or INTERNATIONAL? Thanks GUYS!--OleTower--
  18. farmboy555

farmboy555 Junior Member
    from Ky

Your 410 gears is your problem. We have a 2001 F350 & 2 2001 F250's with 473 rears (Ithink that is what is ) we have super tune, exhaust & air filters, 17.5 is our average.
  19. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It has to be the gear ratio in the axles. Old ratty power strokes with 300K on them still get 15-16 MPG. At 190K it still should be a tight engine. Try joining one of the Ford Diesel sites and asking questions. Those guys really seem to know the POWER STROKE'S.
  20. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL