1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7.3 Fuel Leak

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Flipper, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Started the dump today to let it warm up a bit. Got below freezing last night and it was not plugged in. It wasn't extermly cold but I wanted it to warm up.

Anyway. Came back out and noticed some drips under the motor. The drips are coming right down onto the steering stabilizer. Got underneath and it is definately diesel.(smell) From looking at it there is a metal tube coming down from the injector pump in the V of the motor. It angles back from on the passenger side and just has an open end 4-5" above and just in front of the crossmember. No hose or anything attahced to it.

I don't have the pickup here to compare it to and have never noticed it before. Not a steady stream of fuel or anything, even when running it was just a little weeping. Is this a concern? Is there supposed to be a hose for this?
  2. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

hey flipper sounds like you o-ring seals on the fuel bowl at water drain . very common:nod: first check and make sure it close all the way if not i'd replace the o rings
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  3. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

my thoughts exactly had to replace mine last year it starts out with just a few drips and gets worse from there get her fixed diesel is like liquid gold now.
  4. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Fuel could be coming from anywhere up top. Check with the water drain plug first. Could be coming from up top too....
  5. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Yup its the O rings in the valve. Ordered two sets just now, might as well do the 99 as well.