1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

7 1/2 conventional mount chanin length 95 f 250?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by fordpickup, Feb 16, 2011.

1. fordpickup

fordpickup Junior Member

7 1/2 conventional mount chain length 95 f 250?

Hey guys I bought a 95 f 250 4x4 snow plow truck thats in decent shape with a fisher 7 1/2 foot conventional mount speed cast plow,this is the one with the hydraulic pump under the hood.The guy was plowing with the safety chain cause he broke the regular plow chain, it broke in half. I want to get a new chain but the plow store near me told me they dont have any and just go to home depo and get one cut.how do I know how long of a chain I need?since the chain snapped in half I have no clue how long a chain to get.Does it matter if i get a chain a little bigger as long as it fits where the hook is?Also i know this may sound dumb but how do I know the chain I buy will hold the weight of the 71/2 foot fisher conventional mount plow?Sure wish they sold the chain at the plow store IM sure I would get the right chain and length.any info will help thanks.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

what i did for mine was simple.

1/3 up on the lift ram travel with blade on ground.

then measure from were the chain clamps to a-frame to hook. then x2 the length and few extra links just in cause.

then 2 new steel cable clamps 3/8 size for the ubolt part of the cable clamp. 2 metal lock nuts per clamp NOT nylock .

then remove mini ubolt from cable clamp. toss the saddle parts. then you have 2 new mini ubolts for securing the chain to the lift frame. and swap to the new crimp lock nuts you got.

clamp 1 end to the lift frame. hange chain on hook of lift arm as the way you measured it 1/2 up on the full travle of the lift arm to alow for float / drop when plowing uneven stuff.

then drop extra chain over to other side. mark and cut off extra. clamp on a frame with 2nd new mini ubolt and bam go have fun.

been working for me for few years no problems. and if i recall its 3/8 chain and ubolt size. but measure to be sure. :mechanic:
  3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I know the chain is definetly 3/8
  4. fordpickup

fordpickup Junior Member

yeah im going to put on new u blots to might as well while im at it.the saftey chain is pretty rusty on this plow its a bigger chain then the regular chain do you know what size that one is by any chance?where did you get all your parts a plow store home depo or where ever?thanks for the info this helps alot.