1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6L vortec owners

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EXR, Sep 1, 2010.

1. EXR

EXR Senior Member

What MPG's are you guys getting pulling landscape equipment?

I want to compare this to my dmax. I am getting the same MPG's that I got in my 2003 2500 ext cab short box 6L as I am with my crew cab dmax. 9.5-10mpg pulling a 16ft trailer with equipment.

Gm dealer said that my mpg's are normal (which I know it isn't) and have turned their back to me because my truck isn't throwing any codes.

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Tune it the you'll see better mpgs

3. EXR

EXR Senior Member

don't want to throw money at it when I know it should be running better stock

4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I get about 13 without a trainer, plow or load in the bed. I'd say 9.5-10 pulling a trailer with equipment on it is normal. Sometimes I get tantalizzingly clos to 14mpg, but not every tank.

Sounds like your deisle is getting bad mileage though.

5. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

I hate to say it, but with that treatment you are going to have to go above the dealer. Everyone, including you know it isn't right. we went over that in the other thread. There's something wrong with the truck. GM needs to fix it. Maybe explain your situation to another dealer. Someone out there must want your business. Is it warranty work or are you on your own??
    A GOOD dealer would have already been talking with GM, not blowing you off.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  6. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

Are you heavy on the throttle? That sounds just a tad low, but not too far off for the LB7 engine. The mileage went down quite a bit on the LB7s.

My dad had a 6L, he got about 12-13 empty and about 10 pulling a heavy load.

My 04 LLY Duramax gets about 15mpg running 84mph, 21 mpg running 55mph. This is empty. I have an 8.5'x24' enclosed car trailer, probably around 8-10K lbs loaded up and I'll get 11-14mpg running 75-80mph depending on the wind!

7. plowguy43

The DPF needs to fall off

8. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

I second that. Worst thing for fuel milage. Put exhaust and a mild tune in it and you will think you got a new truck! Just keep the stock exhaust incase you need to take it in to the dealer.

9. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

The warranty will fall off with it.

10. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

EXR.

While I agree your mileage sounds a bit low how hard do you drive it ? Its easy to give it some extra pedal when taking off from a stop light with out noticing it

11. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

Staying under 2 grand rpm will also help. Makes a huge different in my milage

12. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I'm rarely hard on it and when pulling usually go the speed limit.
    Honestly, I don't have to step on it to move my trailer/gear..one advantage of having a diesel.

Ya, I am writing the service manager an email tomorrow morning with my mpg records and triple L's records because his truck/set up is almost the same as mine for comparison.

13. plowguy43

Biglou-just put it back on when taking it in for service.

14. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Oh ya, its just something you can do an half an hour... Have you ever screwed around with your exhaust? its not fun at all...

15. EXR

EXR Senior Member

ya and I paid to have 2 years additional warranty on the truck..so voiding it is a no-no

16. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

not a very well thought out statement:dizzy: