1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6L to 6.6L

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EXR, Aug 22, 2009.

1. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I really am wondering how my new truck will work this winter. I've owned 2 6L gm's and this is my 1st diesel.

Anyone else upgrade from the 6L to the 6.6L?

2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Yep, I upgraded last year from a 6.0L to the Duramax - and love it. I can't say that I noticed a huge increase in plowing performance, but I've always wanted the 6.6L. However, I def noticed the low-end torque.

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Well said on the low end yorque.

I went from a 02 with a 6.0 to a 04 with a 6.6. I love it. Reverse is going to suck I am just going to come right out and say it. I notice better fuel economy also. I can go 14 hours straight and burn 3/4 of a tank.

4. EXR

EXR Senior Member

Will I need to upgrade my alternator? I heard that I should

5. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

If you have the plow prep package (RPO code "VYU" on the glove box sticker), you have a 145 amp alternator already - which is good enough.

6. Papi

Papi Junior Member

I have a 2001 KC2500 HD with a 6 litre gas ( 366 cu). What would be the best plow for doing minimal residential work. I an told a 7' Western is my best bet. The truck has the plow package.

thx-Papi