1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6ft SS spreader not spreading well??

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by turbo38sfi, Dec 3, 2007.

1. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

I've got a new 6ft electric unit. It's presently full right now and doesn't like to spread unless you're coaxing it with a shovel handle, even with the chute fully open.

I think I know the problem but wanted to run it by you guys first... Where should the "Inverted-V" be set? There was 2 sets of bolt holes in it.. I set it at the lower mounting position so there's about 5/8" between the edge of be V and the side of the spreader. Is that for spreading salt maybe? If I move it up a set of holes, there would be over an inch of clearance and I think will flow better..should that be where I need it?

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I took mine out and "set" it on a shelf in the shop. I spread both Salt and Salt/Sand at times and the only thing I adjust is the gate. Wide open for mix and about half for salt.

The only other mod I made to mine was installing a deflector inside the chute on the drivers side. Just a bent piece of stainless with two stainless bolts. I found that this helped get more materials over to the right side which actually balances the spread pattern which initial was heavy on the passenger side.

3. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

That what I ended up doing and it worked better. I think I'm going to put it back in on the highest possible setting. I guess it would help to keep the flow even and prevent it from packing down. Plus I don't want another part hanging around in my garage :)

4. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Well, 2 more loads today and what a PITA this thing is to spread! That stupid inverted -V is coming out tomorrow. I sure hope it spreads better with out it. I went to 2 different places today for materials. Both were 80/20 mix. One spread slightly better than the other. Neither were completely dry, I think that's going to be near impossible to find. Can this thing not spread damp material??

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

On the floor of your garage. If you want to use it, set it as high as you can and consider adding a vibrator.

Never leave material in it overnight.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  6. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Your not leaving material in it overnight ? Are you?

7. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

It's currently set as high as it can go.

I did not leave material in overnight, filled up today 2x. From 2 different suppliers with crappy results from both. It took me as long to sand the lot as it does to plow it. Very aggrevated right now. Sucks that I even have to think of a vibrator after spending 3k

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try taking the inverted V out.

9. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

That's going to be my next move. How much we talking for a vibrator?

10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I put damp mix in a week ago tarped it, drove the truck around this week (big truck was still doing leaves) and it spread fine yesterday in the ice.

Get rid of the V.

11. Do you have to remove the hopper in order to take out those 2 gate thingys? Im having the same problem with salt, it is set at the widest opening possible and it seems like it is barely spreading any salt out. My Western Swingaway 2000 spreads better than this thing.
    Right now we drilled a hole in the gate and put a screw in so the flow gates would stay wide open.
    Any thoughts would help
    Thanks
    Matt

12. turbo38sfi

turbo38sfi Senior Member

Not sure what you mean by 2 gate thingys??

There is a metal invenrt V that runs almost the full length of the spreader. 2 bolts on each support and it comes right out. Working great now with it removed.

13. The 2 flow gates I was talking about are at the bottom of the spreader which enables you to open and close the hole where the salt falls out.
    Mine is only a year old. I hope this clears up the confusion.
    Matt

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

this tread was dealing with a V-box gas drive hopper spreader. You must be using a gravity drop hitch mount salt spreader.

What kind of material are u you using. bagged or bulk?

15. OOO my bad sorry, yes I have a hitch mount spreader, i use bag rock salt.
    Matt

16. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

The paddles are there to serve a couple of different purposes.

1. To control the amount of material that is allowed to drop through to the spinner.

2. To control the spread pattern and direction that the material is thrown.

I can not say that I know of any users that have removed them or have seen the need to do so.

17. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Have the 8' gasser model. Never had an issue with anything. The only thing is that it seems to use salt too fast. Have the gate on the back at the smallest opening. Perhaps the salt and agrregate is too wet and packing up. Also try moving up the inverted V to the highest setting.

DAFF