1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6ft ss electric motor mount disintegrated..

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by DeereGuy, Aug 5, 2009.

1. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

This is the second alum motor mount to disintegrate in 3 yrs. It looked fine when I put the unit on its summer rack...now looks like a battery experiment gone bad. No electric hook up. It sits on wood cross members on a pallet rack outdoors. It did have a little residual magic salt on it but I regularly spray it with FFilm during the season and after the last use. Alum/ mag motor mount with stainless hardware on carbon steel mounting plate attached to ssteel spreader, but not grounded that I can see. Should the unit be grounded? Am I missing somthing... Any ideas..?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

With-out an Isolator between them it's a guarantied rot magnet.

3. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Basher, thx for the reply but I don't understand. The Isolator is a physical spacer between the motor and the mount, gasket style; or an electonics part of some sort. Thanks,

-deereguy

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

isolator

the isolator can be as little as a layer of heavy Mylar tape to prevent the galvanic reaction between dissimulator metals .:)

5. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Got it. A little too late for that motor unfortunately. I assume that it would be safer to remove the motor off season as well as the bolts will still connect the unit somewhat even with an isolator in place

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Stainless is sort of a "neutral party" it is not reactive with either metal so just use a isolator between the motor and mount and that will help immensely as would washing the unit down with salt-a-way or a similar neutralizer.

7. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Check with your local Sno-Way dealer. There is a rubber gasket available to mount between the motor and the mounting base.

8. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Ok, Thanks for the replies

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IF you have the EV "budget spreader it does not come with a gasket. they they do not even have the same motor as the other units. If you have the "swing-a-way chute style the gasket number is 96111763.

I would blow off the rubber gasket and get a different isolator, one larger then the snoway part and covers a larger area then the motor. If it is as the drawing shows it leaves areas unprotected. If you do have the SaW chute model obviously it didn't do much good in the first place.

Swing-a-way chute manual

http://www.snoway.com/service/Owner_Parts Manuals/97100701J.pdf

EV "budget" manual

http://www.snoway.com/service/Owner_Parts Manuals/97101235b.pdf

10. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

I spoke with our engineering department. Both styles of v-boxes use the same motor (p/n 96111764) which includes the rubber gasket (p/n 96111763). The manual for the EV (economy v-box) has not yet been updated.

I had several cases of this in Indiana about two years ago and the rubber gasket has resolved the problem.

11. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Thanks for the links. I had a print out at one time. I have an older swing away chute 6' ss model everything is stainless except for the sheet metal box the motor sits on. Not sure why they chose that part to skimp on but its almost rotted through so I will probably have a ss box bent up locally and I'll weld the corners for strength like the original for a replacement. Not sure if that will help the rot issue or not. I beleive that part is now made of stainless on some models or I could have been looking at its sister the Ice o way. Anyway, I will make a larger isolator out of some polyeth and mount it all up. The drag chains and some other carbon parts are gone past too so it looks like a total service. I bought it cheap slightly used and it has served me well except for this quirk for the past few years. Gotta love the stainless, although the swing away is not imune to icebanks....

12. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Rick, I did get a replacement motor under warr. with the spreader when I purchased it that I do not believe came with a spacer. I will take it apart today and check if it's there but I don't remember seeing one but thanks for that info. Therefore the continued problem I'm guessing.

13. btammo

btammo Member

same thing happened to mine. Local dealer said they didnt think i could get a new flange, but i find it hard to believe. Is there a place where a replacement flange can be purchased or did you have to bring it to a electic motor repair shop?

I know this thread is old, but hoping that someone can reply. Thanks

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Aluminum and mild steel in a saltwater environment create extreme corrosion. Early noway electric spreaders were designed with- out an isolator between the motor and mounting plate. They rotted apart quickly.

There is no replacement flange. If it is just the flange you could try a local auto electric rebuild shop. They might be able to repair your existing motor cheaper than you can buy the Snoway part.

Give us a call and we get you a price on the motor if you are interested.

15. btammo

btammo Member

wow i would have never guessed that there was not a replacement flange. I will check with the local rebuild shop to see if they have something or access to something. The local dealer gave me a price when i couldnt get the flange and I was surprised it was that high....hence the reason i am looking for a flange. I havent shopped around for prices on the motor yet but i can get one from you. You PM me or you want me to call?

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They are available from the factory. Suggested list is $785.00 plus freight:eek:

Give us a call.:nod:

17. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I'm actually assembling my unit today. I was hoping to have someone bend a new motor mount out of SSteel but its too thick for any sheet guys around here. I did try to replace the motor mounting flange but was told by a snoway person that they were unavailable on the chinese motor.

If you were lucky enough to have the Leeson usa motor then it was available. I purchased a Leeson motor from a local motor guy for around $500. and it has a flange that is replaceable. $785 for a chinese motor when the whole unit only cost around $3500 new is just ridiculous. The big difference is that the shaft is not SSteel as was on the chinese motor. He suggested I cover the whole motor in Anti-seize, the regular siver compound and I will be RTVing the heck out of all other viable inlets to the motor. We'll see what happens. I do plan on taking the motor off every off season for now on and cleaning it. I have had good luck with the Leeson brand over the years on other equipment. I will try to find the rceipt with price, product order number and Leeson motor number for anyone looking in the future. Good luck.