1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6ft Smith spreader motor

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by fireboy6413, Dec 18, 2010.

1. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

Ok so I just bought a used 6ft stainless steel spreader by Smith spreaders, the unit needs a new motor, now the question I have a few 13hp Kawasaki motors, their is an 8hp brigs motor on their now, do you think I can swap the 8hp brigs for the 13hp Kawasaki or is the Kawasaki to much hp for this spreader. Thanks
  2. Striper1263

Striper1263 Member

I have a 13.5 hp Brigs on my spreader and it's not too much. I really don't think there is such a thing as too much for the spreaders. That is if you can throttle it down from the cab. We do when we salt around cars at the Hospital. Then when we get out on the main drives we throttle up a bit to throw the salt a little farther.
    You should be find. Just be glad you have spares, I had to buy a new moter this season. almost $700.00.

Good Luck

3. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

So i checked the motor, the spare ih have is 15hp, i thought one of them were a 13, guess not hope this will work