1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6'9" LD Minute Mount Plow Cutting Edge

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by ranger4327, Nov 12, 2007.

1. ranger4327

ranger4327 Member
    from 04747

Greetings... I have a minute mount 6'9" LD plow and want to either install a set of shoes, or put a steel cutting edge on. Plowing on a gravel road has caused me to replace the rubber (polymer) cutting edge a couple of times and they are EXPENSIVE. Any suggestions or recommendations ???? I realize the extra weight associated with the steel cutting edge, on my Ford Ranger...... any help greatly appreciated !!!!:drinkup:

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I think Fisher sells bolt-on shoe kits for your plow, I'm not sure if there's a steel cutting edge to fit your plow though- call up your local dealer to find out!

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

yes you can get a steel cutting edge for your plow, and if it is a plow from this year then you can get a bolt on shoe kit as that is now offered as an option, not standard equipment since most people just take them off anyway!

4. ranger4327

ranger4327 Member
    from 04747

cutting edge for 6'9" LD fisher plow

i was told i can only get a polymer cutting edge for the plow....... if this is the case, can i custom make one from 3/8 inch steel???

do you know a link i can use to see one from a dealer????

thanks for your help guys.....

5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I have a steel cutting blade on my LD. I'm not sure if its stock or not however since I bought it used last year

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Go to you steel shop. Take the rubber edge with you or measure the holes. Have him punch square holes on some 1/2" thick by 6" wide steel the right length.

7. Gregg Blair

Gregg Blair member

When you say "polymer" cutting edge, what are you referring to? Is it rubber, polyurethane, polyethylene (plastic)? If it's rubber and you're happy with the performance, but not neccesarily the life of the edge, you may want to try polyurethane. If it's polyethylene (plastic) its a totally different animal, and I'd again suggest urethane. Urethane is a little more rigid than rubber, but still flexible, and offers much more wear life than rubber.

8. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

There are a few aftermarket company's selling steel replacement cutting edges for the 6.9 ld fisher blades. When you find one make sure you bolt it on top of your poly edge. if you remove the poly edge it will chatter to beat the band. By bolting it on top of the poly edge the angle of attack will be so that it will not chatter and will scrape well.

9. ranger4327

ranger4327 Member
    from 04747

poly and steel trip edge

soooo.... the poly edge will be sandwiched (between) the steel cutting edge and the trip edge?

great tip! glad i didnt find out the hard way.......

thanks
    chris

10. ranger4327

ranger4327 Member
    from 04747

steel vs poly cutting edge ? LD plow

i had a steel cutting edge installed and the shop didnt put the poly edge on in between and now it is not plowing well...... I explained to them i needed it done that way, but the guy talked me out of it. Can you explain why the angle of attack will be changed, despite them both being the same width, and if the edge isnt tapered, how can the attack angle be different.

I may be going back to just the poly edge out and try shoes....

any help on this?

i think he used 3/8" steel on my LD plow

thanks

11. Flipper

from CT

Let it wear in a bit. It will get better.

12. ranger4327

ranger4327 Member
    from 04747

i am plowing 100% on gravel road. It seems (or did) the plow would dig into the ground, fold over and stop the truck.

I had a welder put a set of shoe brackets on, along with the steel cutting edge. I tried both combinations with and without the shoes and same results.......

i know i have gotten advice to put the poly blade on first, just want to know the reasoning ? More than "the attack angle is changed".... I will give it another try like is, but dont know if i should put both poly and steel on, or just go back to plain poly and bite the bullet and expect to buy a new poly edge every couple years or so........

PLEASE HELP!

beyer@fairpoint.net

13. Flipper

from CT

All steel edges will dig on gravel. I like to plow it high leaving it about an inch off the ground. Then pack the remaining snow into the gravel and sand it. The snow will ice up and lock the gravel together for the rest of the season. Then you can just plow it down and add a bit of sand for traction where needed.

14. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

If you are plowing all gravel do what I did for my gravel driveway, learned from this site of course. Cut a sch 40 steel pipe lengthwise to make basically a "C" shape and install on the cutting edge. I made 1 cut with a sawzall and used a chisel to open it up enough to pound on the cutting edge with a sledge...lesson learned, after about 4ft the spring force generated from opening up a sawzall kerf to 1/2" creates too much friction to pound on with the sledge (mine is 2 piece now, both held on only by friction)...make a second cut to widen the gap or figure out a way to open up to 1/4" or so first to install in one piece. You could have a welder weld some tabs to an uncut pipe and bolt it on. When I have to replace the pipe I'll do this as I have a welder, just wasn't in my shop at the time.You now have a round non-cutting edge that will glide along the gravel very nicely, hopefully not depositing any in lawns or places you don't want it or trip unnecessarily.

pipe plow.JPG