1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

680 Blizzard plow picts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jerre Heyer, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Here are a couple of quick picts on the new 680 Blizzard plow. One on an 99 S10, One on a newer Dakoata and the plow by itself. Jerre

If anyone wants to see more I'll post in the picts forum.

680 dakota ft.jpg

2. Jerre Heyer

3. Jerre Heyer

By itself

680 on own.jpg

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Nice looking little plow. Stupid question, but here goes...does that one extend? And if it does, from what size to what size? With the name 680, Im assuming it goes from 6' to 8'? Mike

5. Santo

Santo Banned

What is that silly looking bubble on the sector?

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Mike, the 680 is just a light weight straight blade, no wings. I'm not sure of the width, it might be 6'8" to be a 680.

The plastic "bubble" you see is the pump cover. Both the hydraulic pump and the valving are located on the plow similar to the Snoway set up. You just loosen 3 wing nuts to gain access to check reservoir level or service.

7. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Jerre,
    I know that with the sno-way poly plows the lights are an option because your headlights will shine through the blade.
    But i noticed on the picture you show of just the plow there aren't any lights on it.
    Whats the deal with that? Or do the stay on the truck?Or did you not have them installed on the plow yet when you took the pic?

Looks like a nice set up thou, Almost like the sno-way but hopefully a little stronger in the areas that need it.

Dan

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The light tower hitches to the truck portion of the plow frame. They've come out with a spring loaded quick release pin so you don't need tools to remove it. Prior to this you needed two 3/4 inch wrenches to remove 2 bolts, then unplug the lights and lift out the tower. It drops in 2 slots on the push plates.

With the Blizzards, there is no hoist chain, all the hydraulics are on the plow and it pushes against the cross beam to hoist the plow. The only function of the tower is to support the lights, so it's fairly light weight.

9. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Jerre,

Looks like you did a nice job installing the plows. I never knew that Blizzard made those plows that small. And how could it be a Blizzard plow if those do not have extendable wings? I thought that all Blizzard plows has extending wings.

So how is it coming at your shop? Find any good guys to work for you yet? I'd be happy to help out, but 5-7 hours trip each way will kill my time & burn alot and alot of gas. LOL

I will be standing by the doorstep tomorrow and wait for that big brown truck to drop off my Chevy bowtie BackRack! Can't wait to see it. :D :drinkup:

10. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

Dangit Jerre, you had to show the blizzard on the dakota...... oh well I will check it out when we come up. any "large" pics you could e-mail me ;)

11. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Nice looking little setup :)

I can't wait to hear how it performs.

Jay

12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

oh and how about a pic with the plow raised, curious as to how bad it squats.

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Looks like a good little plow.The moldboard is kinda small,but I like the pump cover,real neat looking.

14. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Yep! That's the S-10 I saw awhile back in passing!! Did the customer have anything done to the suspension or charging/cooling systems as well? The light tower sure sits high above the hood on those small vehicles outfitted with Blizzards. Is there alot of lift to the blade requiring such height? Or is it just my misperception of things?

15. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Looks like a nice little plow i would buy one for sure!:)

16. Jerre Heyer

Mike, I wish the thing expanded from 6' - 8'. I'm sure I'd be selling them cause guys here are asking the same question you and Stephen are.

Chris, The moldboard is 18" high to the bottom of the curve, 20" to the top on the 680.

Pelican, Thanks for the accurate replys.

Roger, As far as the S-10 the only thing is 4 turns on the torsion bars and some air for the front tires.

The stock Alt is 105 amp and the "heavy weight" of the blade is hardly noticed by the pump unit. Minimal amp draw unless dead heading.
    Cooling/Tranny are the stock. Private use on his and some friends ( not 20+ accounts ) driveways. The S-10 and S-15 are pretty rugged trucks. Alot of power and good weight ratio with some weight in the back. The blazers are awesome due to the tight turning radius. I prefer them to the Jeeps ( sorry just more comfortable for getting in and out ).

Your right about the light towers sticking up. It's more noticable on the Cheves because of the lower job on the hoods. The plow blade comes up that high and some people add to the height on them. I also get a fair # of people who want the shortened. They don't carry the plow all the way up when traveling so we shorten them.

Pelican explained the towers are quick removal now so I know more people will pull them off with there plow's. Most of the Ford and Dodge guys pull the lights and leave the tower in place. Paid for brush and grill guard.

Nate I'll post the S10 with the plow up don't have one of the Dodge.

Jerre

17. Santo

Santo Banned

Id like to demo one myself.

18. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Thanks Jerre for the reply. One question still remains though, what size is the plow actually? Mike :)

19. Jerre Heyer

Sorry Mike,

The 680 is sized like the other straight blades in ft and inches
    6'8"- 680
    7'0" - 700
    7'6" - 760
    8'0" - 800

The 700 comes in Light truck style now like the 760.
    528# for the 700 and #550 for the 760

The 760 also comes in Heavy truck as well as the 800.
    720# for the 760 and 750# for the 800.

Jerre

20. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Jerre, thanks for the detailed reply. Im sure that info will help alot of people on here looking for a plow. Mike :drinkup: