1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

66" Vplow on Scag hydro walk behind mower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Jan 15, 2003.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Here it is - my 1992 52" Scag hydro 14hp fixed deck w/b with my 48" homemade Vplow (fully adjustable like the big ones not just a fixed V) with wings, total width 66". The wings were makeshift as is the lift, but I had to do this w/o spending alot of time because I had it on the tractor but we are in for some snow sometime. The wings are plywood and the lift is a strap that you just pull and loop around the hydro fluid tank neck. The plow is pretty lightweight, it just mounts on the anti scalp roller bracket. You can still ride on the sulky (not shown). Just waiting for the snow now.. hehehe :drinkup:
    will post pics later when we get the white stuff which should be a few times in the next week or so. Hopefully. anyway here it is. enjoy!

2. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Now I should contact the city to see about doing sidewalks LOL. No not really going to but this would be the one for the job huh?

3. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

I am speechless.

4. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

hmmm is that good or bad bryan?
  5. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

I think someone has too much time on their hands:rolleyes:
  6. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Looks good, I wish I had a setup like that for some of the sidewalk I have. Looks like it would even work on small drives. Have fun plowing with it.
  7. snow

"opinions are like rectums, everyone has one and they all stink"

I'm going to keep my opinion to myself on this one. I'm pretty sure what everyone else is thinking.

8. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I don't think that plywood is a good idea for wings. Esp. osb board. A nice set up would be without the deck and a full v blade. just a thought.
  9. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

oh gee thanks Greg LOL Need to beef up the mounting too since I added the wings. Thinking just a chain or cable on both sides hooked to it and the caster wheel arms will do fine. Just to relieve some side pressure.
  10. snow

This photo was borrowed from tovarssnow.com . Someone was selling a v plow to go on a scag hydro. Might be worth looking into to get some ideas for a future project. :rolleyes:

11. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

brimow - it's not OSB, it's regular 1/2" plywood, but it has leaves frozen stuck to it, making it appear to be OSB. What is a full V blade? this is fully functional just like the big ones, from V to scoop position. The wings are just till I have time to make nicer steel ones painted to match.
    fordman, thanks I will have fun with it. I just have 3 drives including my own and don't have a truck/plow so this is it.
    bryan - first time i've heard that ROFLMAO :drinkup:
  12. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Oh yes, my reasons for leaving the deck on are:
    1) more weight = more traction
    2) quicker hitching, more convenience
    3) can double as a leaf plow, so you want to use both at once.
    4) since it has 4 wheels and more weight up front I can use a sulky with it, I don't know if you could do that with the setup like Bryan pictured or not? Anyway, this is the way I want it. A friend of mine has a Scag just like this but 48", we might mount the plow we made for his Craftsman on his Scag now that I know how to easily. It's a 44"??? straight blade, I forget how wide we made it. Something like that though.
  13. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

I was just busting on ya!!:D

Give us some pics of it in action when you get a chance:drinkup:

14. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

So does this mean you are going to add to your signature; Scag 52" hydro WB with 66" manual V Plow?

Now I got to remove "let it snow" from mine so it don't look like i copied from yours.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2003
  15. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I agree with greg Eric, how do you get all this time to rig all this stuff up? I play on 3 soccer teams, have homework, and barely have any tim eto cut lawns. I will only be laying on one team hopefully in the Spring. Otherwise, I think it's good but change the plywood to something else, those things will snap in half on your first run. Another point, I see you're spending all this money on equipment but you're not making any. Stop spending b4 you go under. Just a suggestion from a friend. I was just like you in the beginning but you have to realize you have to sometimes say I can do without that. Jmho
  16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Did someone say "plagiarism"?
  17. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

When i said a full v, I mean one that is all the same material. Like the one that snow posted. I've heard of rigging stuff to get by but using wood as wings.... forget it. As far as the weight issue with the deck, it wouldn't be too easy trucking that thing around deck and all. Plus a little hard to operate.If your going to invent or fab something make sure u plan it through and do it right.
  18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

As for using wood - I saw the darnest set up last year. A 3/4 ton pick up with a plywood "plow" attached to the bumper. Used it to plow a lot. It didn't look like there was any way to angle or raise it, but didn't look at it close up.

I guess it worked for them.

Anyway, I thought BushHogBoy was being pretty innovative with his setup.
  19. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Hey lay off guys, it was just for now, and it did the trick! It's snowing cats and dogs and snowmen! LOL. More coming down! Heres a couple pics. It worked great, just too bad my sulky had a flat. I'm happy with it.

20. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

couple inches of snow and still coming down strong. Time to go back out here in a little while. May let it pile up more to give it a run for it's money :D