1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6'6" UniMount galvanized rebuild

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by road2damascus, Feb 14, 2012.

1. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

At the end of last season I bought a conventional mount standard duty 6'6" western plow in decent shape for $200. I had a sport utility 6'6" UniMount that I wanted to convert into a standard duty. I kept the pump carriage, pump, wiring, lights, chain, and lift arm from the sport duty. I sold the sport duty mold board, quadrant, a-frame, cylinders, and hoses. I kept the quadrant, cylinders, mold board, rubber cutting edge, springs, cutting edge hold down (flat steel), and hoses. I could not use the sport duty A-frame or the conventional A-frame so I found a new old stock standard duty A-frame for a good price.

I already have a 6'6" galvanized standard duty Unimount built by John @ John's Garage in Glenview, IL. I put this plow next to my new build as professional reference. I tore down the new build and sent the plow carriage, chain, lift arm, mold board, cutting edge hold down steel, light bracket, and quadrant to be sand blasted and hot dipped galvanized through John's connection. Please don't ask me prices. All I will do is give you John's number. After getting the pieces back I began assembly.

I used high temp rustoleum on top of rust converter on the cylinders and springs. I bought some new hardware mostly grade 5 but used grade 8 washers on the pivot bolt. The blow over rubber is a strip of conveyor belt that John has lots of. I put new hoses and fluid in and she was ready to go Thumbs Up

Plow pictures 013.jpg

Plow pictures 014.jpg

DSCF3697.JPG

DSCF3699.JPG

Plow pictures 004.jpg

2. road2damascus

More pictures

The last one is the UniMount and a Daniels Pull Plow John built.

DSCF3711.JPG

Plow pictures 010.jpg

feb 2012 (1) 006.JPG

feb 2012 (1) 008.JPG

DSCF3710.JPG

3. road2damascus

One more pic

High temp was on sale for 2.50 a can!

DSCF3700.JPG

4. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Looking good! Galvanizing is the way to go!

5. road2damascus

Thanks. As you can tell, I am a big fan of Galvanizing too Thumbs Up

Forgot to add: After getting the parts back from the galvanizing process I took galvanizing spray paint and hit all the nooks and crannies. You can see it in some of the pictures.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  6. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I saw this and was thinking it was a for sale ...damn. Very nice.

7. road2damascus

Could be for sale soon. As you know our season is shot! Selling it would give me a reason to build another!