1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

6'6" Suburbanite Motor constantly runs.....

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Toolbox-Rob, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Toolbox-Rob

Toolbox-Rob Junior Member

6'8" Suburbanite Motor constantly runs.....

I bought this unit used locally 2 years ago and it sat last winter and was not used but worked fine before that. Vehicle application: 1997 Explorer. 4-Port Isolation Unit. Went over the wiring 3 times and I still think it's a ground problem but can't seem to pin-point it or I'm completly on the wrong track in my diagnosis. My reason for leaning towards a ground problem is that the parking/turn signals are inop (on the plow unit), headlights work ok. I'm getting power on the black/orange wire, (key on), when probing with a test light. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is a ground line, correct? The Pump will run constantly with the key in the on or off position. Motor will also run constantly with the controller disconnected also and the key in the on or off position. Also when I initially hook-up the main power connection to the plow unit it also wans to angle right along with the the pump motor running constantly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did do some searching here but didn't find anything specific to this application.

Thanks in advance. Thumbs Up

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I think your solenoid is bad. It is stuck, they are about $20 I would replace it. Your park/turn lights, did you install the plow yourself or have it done. The park lights and turn signals have to be spliced in on the vehicle wiring harness usually with scotch clips. I would start there, maybe they never got hooked up, the scotch clips go bad sometimes as well. Good luck keep us posted on what you find.

3. Toolbox-Rob

Tony, thanks for the idea. I'll check the solenoid. Was giving that some thought after I posted being the motor runs with "just that connection" made at the plow unit. I did the install everything myself. All the wiring is spliced in correctly for the park/turn lights. I did some reading and searching through the wiring schematics and I really need to check the ground supply lines from the small plug connectors through the main harness.

4. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

How is the fuse for park/turn lights in the plow harness? I think it is a 7.5 amp fuse.

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Try removing the small wires from the solenoid. Sounds to me like the solenoid is being sent power to activate it. If the plow does not spin until you turn the key on then it is certainly not the solenoid (main relay) or it would spin the motor all the time as soon as you plugged in the main power at the grill.

As I recall the way the valving is setup on this model it is normal for the plow to angle if the pump rotates on its own.

Can you clarify??? Did you buy the plow and the truck or did you buy the plow and then mount it on your truck? My point is that if you installed it there is a possibility you have a wire in the wrong place but if it was already mounted and working properly then wires won't just move themselves.

6. Toolbox-Rob

7.5 amp fuse is ok and have power on both sides of the fuse and I rechecked the splicing into the vehicle harness.

7. Toolbox-Rob

I should clarify the truck and plow history. The 1997 Explorer 4-door is mine and I purchased the plow unit used and it came off a 1997 Explorer 2-Door. When the previous owner removed the wiring, I assumed he had left the wiring correctly mounted to the solenoid but might not be the case with the issues that I'm having.

I think your correct with the issue of the possibilty of the wiring being incorrect at the solenoid. I think I have the small Red/Green wire on the wrong side of the solenoid but I did not have a chance this weekend to look at it. I did however have a chance look at the wiring schematic on Westerns site and my question is being there are no markings on the solenoid for which side the main power cable from the battery or the main battery cable from plow harness should be orientated.

8. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Where the connections are on the solenoid doesn't matter as long as the battery and motor connections are on the large terminals and one small terminal has a ground connection and the other small terminal has the 12v from the controller.

9. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

As was stated, the orientation of the wires on the relay doesn't matter. The small red/green wire just has to go on the side which is hot all of the time (from the battery). Even so, if that wire was on the wrong side, it wouldn't cause the issue you're having. Just sounds like the relay is junk.

10. mishnick

I still say the relay can't be the problem because the motor does NOT turn when the ignition is off. If the relay was bad it would spin the motor regardless of ignition because the relay is hard wired direclty to the battery.

The small wires on the relay may or may not be wrong but if they are removed and the motor stops spinning then you know it is a problem in the harness. This is just a first step to verify which way to start looking.

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The first post from the original poster...

"I bought this unit used locally 2 years ago and it sat last winter and was not used but worked fine before that. Vehicle application: 1997 Explorer. 4-Port Isolation Unit. Went over the wiring 3 times and I still think it's a ground problem but can't seem to pin-point it or I'm completly on the wrong track in my diagnosis. My reason for leaning towards a ground problem is that the parking/turn signals are inop (on the plow unit), headlights work ok. I'm getting power on the black/orange wire, (key on), when probing with a test light. Correct me if I'm wrong but that is a ground line, correct? The Pump will run constantly with the key in the on or off position. Motor will also run constantly with the controller disconnected also and the key in the on or off position. Also when I initially hook-up the main power connection to the plow unit it also wans to angle right along with the the pump motor running constantly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did do some searching here but didn't find anything specific to this application."

12. mishnick

I stand corrected about the motor not spinning all the time. Still, the way to verify the relay is to disconnect the small wires and see if that makes a differrence. If it still spins the motor is has to be the relay, if it does not then the relay is fine and there is power constantly being sent to the relay electromagnet by the small wires.

13. Toolbox-Rob

Sorry for the delay in updating my findings. Haven't had the time to really dig into the problem. To sum it all up it ended up being some bad/switched wiring that was causing the concern. The Solenoid checked out ok. The previous owner had some wiring switched around due to the wiring harness came out of a Toyota and had to figure out what his changes were. Once I got that starightened out everything is working correctly as it should. Thank you for all the input and help as it was much appreciated.Thumbs Up