1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

65HP skid enough to push a 10ft pusher?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by maximus44, Nov 14, 2008.

1. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

Hi all, looking for advice.
    U guys think a 65hp skid steer in enough to push a 10ft pusher?tymusic
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

what model?
  3. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

the skid steer is called a MAgnum 65X.
    It uses a perkins deisel engine,2950 operating weight,
  4. cretebaby

2950 Rating?

if so a 10' box should work good
  5. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I would prefer a two speed unit, but if its what you have..take it slow because you will be moving pretty slow. JMO
  6. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Pro-Tech's application guide says a 70+ hp machine is good for the 10' pusher. Once your filled up with snow, it may bog down a bit with a 65 hp machine.
  7. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Who manufactures that skid steer loader?
  8. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

You better locate a bigger skidloader or a smaller box.
  9. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

a 10' blade would be a little too much for that sometimes. a 10' box almost all the time.

It's not the horsepower that's the problem, it's the traction.
  10. cretebaby

if it rated at 2950 thats a pretty big skiddi
  11. Advancedexc

Advancedexc Junior Member
    from Indiana

we run a 8ft box on a 65hp skid steer and that works good. I cant image it would be very fast with a 10ft once full. If you are in small areas you would be fine. we have a A300 with a 10ft box and if the snow is wet it is hard to push.
  12. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Its not how much power you have, its the weight machine and momnetum of your machine that determines the size it will handle
  13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

width of a machine is also a factor....i run 3 inch spacers
  14. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Are you saying it is rated to lift 2950lbs or it weighs 2950? I can't see this being the weight of the machine. I agree with the combo of answers you have received. It is the combination of weight of machine, speed you can push, HP to maintain the speed, and these factors all equate into the pushing ability. Weight and speed will dictate your traction unless you are on ice, or run tires other than stock.
  15. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

sorry for the confussion guys,I posted the weight in kg(kilograms). This is the equivilent ofm 6,550lbs machine,and has a rated operating load of 2,065lbs,and lifting capacity of just over 4,000 lbs
  16. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I think it's a little small. A 8' pusher would be better. I'm working a deal right now on a Deere 325 and would put a 10' pusher on that, but its 2 speed, 72 hp, and a little heavier. JMO:waving:

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'd say a 10' footer is too big. We are talking about a machine equivalent to a S185/205 Bobcat or a 232/242 Cat or a 420 Case.