1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

64 Unit HOA Seasonal Rate

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by DaveWB, Jul 29, 2015.

1. DaveWB

DaveWB Junior Member

I have never bid something this large so I'm hoping to get a little help/time estimate for this property.

I have 2 1-ton dump trucks with 8' straight blades and a skid loader(I will need to get a snow bucket or snow pusher for it(suggestions?) if I receive the contract)

Contract is for a seasonal rate up to 70 inches of snowfall with a 2" trigger, anything less will just be salted. Anything after that will be an hourly rate.

The roads are approximately 25 feet wide and are 3127 in total length. 6 total passes would be about 3.55 total miles traveled, the curbs are the angled type if that affects anything.

There are 64 driveways, about 54,000 total square feet for the driveways.

64 sidewalks are 4 feet wide and 25 feet long.(Single stage snow blower or shovel crew)

3 year contract (with full maintenance lawn care/landscaping)

Average Snowfall for our area

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How many guys do you have working for you
  3. DaveWB

DaveWB Junior Member

I've mostly subcontracted before so I would have to hire on people, I would expect to have to hire about 4-5 people. I expect to pay about $20/hr in hopes of attaining reliable people.
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

There are no reliable people to attain anymore...even at $20/hr.

Also, you need 2 skids in there to speed things along so on a 5-6 inch snow you're not in there for 4-6 hrs. The sidewalks as well as hand work in front of the garage doors will be a killer on time as well, and if you get a big snow you better have more than 2 guys and 2 blowers on the walks and doors. Usually those types of places drift pretty good.

Good thing is, it looks like there's lot of places to put snow, so that will save some time.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  5. DaveWB

DaveWB Junior Member

I think I would hire as many as I could and have less headache if there are no-shows, "my car broke down", etc...
    Would you say about 18 man hours is pretty accurate?
    They told me that they only had one skid in the past when I asked. I got a buddy with a case w20c wheel loader that could backdrag these drives in one pass but I don't know how reliable it is. The sidewalks could be done with a tractor Blower but they have that 90 degree angle so they'll have to be done with a walk behind Blower or shovels.
  6. Spence92

Spence92 Junior Member

Try looking at just one driveway and sidewalk. How much would you charge to do just ONE dive way and walk. Let's say $30 (I'm just putting that number out there as an example) then multiply that one driveway by how many drives there are.

So $30×64 drives = (roughly $2,000) then find how long it takes to drive around the roads for 1 pass. And multiply that by 6 for 6 passes.

Again don't quote me on the numbers or anything. I was just putting them out there to get the ball rolling. Goodluck! hope I could help.
  7. WIPensFan

18 man hrs depends on how good the guys or gals are with their equipment and what the conditions are. I never priced snow removal on man hrs so that is your call.
  8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

All snow removal is based on hours, that is what we sell, time.

4 hours for plowing with a tractor and inverted blower.

10 for walks?
  9. WIPensFan

You can do it how you want, that's not how I did it.
  10. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

You need a tractor and inverted blower, not trucks and a skid steer. And a Ventrac, not walk behind blowers.

We do an HOA that is a similar size, without the road that winds all over, it is a straight line. One skid with a Kage can do it in about 4 hours with 2 inches of snow. The tractor and blower just eliminates the piles that you have with a skid steer.

I'm going to guess in the area of 8-10 MH for walks, since you're doing it with walk behind blowers. Some will be faster, some will be slower.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I like you're thinking.
  12. DaveWB

DaveWB Junior Member

As sweet and efficient as a inverted blower/tractor sounds I don't think I have the means for one right now, I was possibly thinking about a snowblower for the skid (looking to add a high flow cat skid towards the end of the year).

Does $20,300 for the season including salt sound about right?
  13. DaveWB

DaveWB Junior Member

Ok maybe I was off,
    this was my breakdown/thinking:
    Salt 7200
    Plowing: 13,100

We have on average 13.4 snowfalls with 1 inch, 4.7 with 3 inches, 2.1 with 5 inches, and .3 with 10 inches.

That means that there would be about 20.5 salting events correct?
    3.03 acres of area, about 1k lbs of salt per acre. .30 per pound would be $909 per event times 20.5 events would give me 18,634.50 just for salt.

That would bring my season price to $31,734.50
  14. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You can't put a loader of that size in someone's driveway. If you do you'll be replacing a lot of concrete. I would think any operator could plow 64 drives with a skid steer in around 2 hours provided you put at least an 8' blade on it. As far as the sidewalks go, I'd have 2-3 guys with blowers and walk behind spreaders for salting.
  15. DaveWB

DaveWB Junior Member

Price must have been too high for them lol
  16. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

I live in a th subdivision twice the size of this one with a club house and parking lots as well. When they come in to plow it, they have 3 skids (2 with plows that back drag / plow the drive ways, 1 with pusher box that moves the snow down the street), 4-4 man shovel or blower crews depending on the conditions (and they do a path in front of the garages for the plows). They don't salt at all, that is up to the homeowners. They get the whole place done including public walkways in less than 4 hours.
  17. WIPensFan

Whoa whoa whoa...without a tractor and inverted blower?? How is that even possible? :rolleyes:
  18. John_DeereGreen

Why send 3 machines to do the job of 1? :confused:
  19. WIPensFan

My guess is those 3 machines make money and do work in the other 3 seasons that a tractor can't do.
  20. John_DeereGreen

Just imagine...what those 3 machines on sites that they'd shine on would be able to produce in a season, while letting a tractor do it's job where it belongs...and pay for it's self in the process.

That's a win-win.