1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$$$$$

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by andy bengtson, Oct 1, 2002.

1. andy bengtson

andy bengtson Junior Member

hi. How much can someone plan on making? Is it per hour,blade size or something else. I just spent a hour in the search feature. I know that this will very but just looking for the average amount. I will have a western straight blade or a boss v-blade. Will that make a difference?

2. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Sub contractors here in Michigan
    Are 60 an hour
    If I were to bid jobs myself I'd be at over 100
    With a full time job also, subing is so much easyer

3. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

here in south east PA i bid jobs at a minimum $125.00 hour, usually make much more than that an hour, and i pay subs anywhere from $60.00 to $75.00 depending on what their trucks/plows are. hope this helps.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

In my area, generally speaking there are no subs. I usually give a price based on figuring about $100-125 per hour for a 3"-6" snowfall using a 7.5' plow. Using a pusher or a larger plow would be more efficient, but I still think you'll do well if you figure how long it would take with a 7.5'. A V-plow is said to increase efficiency by 35% which would translate into profit.

Hint: Don't let the customer know what the "hourly rate" is, just quote a price for clearing the drive, lot etc.

I heard a good explanation of this - if you quote an hourly rate and the customer balks, ask if $10/hr is reasonable. When they say "yes", tell them you'll be sending a guy over with a shovel - it'll take about ten hours to clear a lot that would have taken a half hour with a truck and plow. (I forget the original author of that one on this site - sorry)