1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$600 how could i say no?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 91AK250, May 7, 2008.

1. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

allright, so let me give some backround..i love explorers...we currently own about 6..i like to fix'em and resell...you know buy cheap sell high for alittle extra cash.

i also have a explorer that has a crap ton of mods done to it..the only downfall is its a 4.0 V6 4x4. now i loe the little V6 but i hate the tranny its been replaced 2 times so far. the explorer came with a optional 5.0 V8 i've allways wanted one..but never found a good donor..untill now that is!

its a '97 5.0 awd explorer that hit a tree in the last snow storm, has other great body panals i need for other stuff. plus brand new snow tires and good summer tires both on wheels.for how much? $600 all said and done...picking it up tomarrow :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 91AK250

3. fran m

fran m Junior Member

Looks like an easy fix. It looks like it will buff right out.:rolleyes: Good luck with it.

Fran M

4. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Why don't you buy my 6 1/2 Western and put it on that thing :nod:. Little rubbing compound and it will look as good as new.

5. 91AK250

its the perfect parts truck :)! so i went and picked it up today...and drove it like 80 miles home at 65-70mph with no problems...it actuly drove great! but it'll prolly be the last road trip this truck takes lol

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OxHxTDRbYsA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OxHxTDRbYsA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Looks Good

7. tbrownell

tbrownell Member

just to let you in on some cool little info if you don"t already know - the 5.0 used in the explorers is a detuned version of the mustang cobra engine. We are in the process of dropping one into a non-cobra mustang and one into a ford ranger. all were doing to them is switching the cams and the intakes and a few little other optional things

8. 91AK250

yeah i know..i've been a explorer buff for years they are awsome!, the GT40 heads and cobra upper intake. we actuly own 2 other 5.0 explorers one a 97(my dads) and another my roomates.

so the plans are headers(made for the Ex) a slight cam, 1" upper intake spacer, 1.6:1 rockers...i think im getting this right haha along with a full rebuild of the motor,tranny and t-case.

the poor lady i got it from didnt know what she had there, she coulda got alot more money for it but she needed the money.

9. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

those heads make some decent power. My bro got a set outta the junk yard for $40, cleaned them up, might have ported them slightly (don't remember for sure), and threw them on a 89 notchback he had, w/ 3.73's. The car was a high 12 second car, with everything else stock (besides headers).

10. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I had no clue about the motor info on those things. My Dads old explorer 94' 4.0, it's not his anymore but is still running around. The thing has the natural lifter tick as all of them do but other than that it's still running strong. Almost 300k miles on that damn thing too. It's amazing.

11. 91AK250

yeah the 4.0 OHV is a great motor, its what i have in my truck currently. i love the motor but i have replaced the tranny 3 times. they are a terrible weak point in the v6 explorers. the v8 trucks have the most diehard drivetrain you could get.

my main goal for doing this swap is relaibilty with a great boost in power just being a plus! haha

right now im checking into the legality of it...emissions laws might be one hell of a hoop to get thru..uggh

12. firelwn82

Do they really pay that close attention to emissions in Alaska?

13. 91AK250

only in anchorage and fairbanks...outside of there no. but here they are pretty strict as far as emissions gos. they dont do any other kind of inspection..but they are sticklers it sucks..they are talking about getting rid of it jan 1 2010 but we'll see...

14. firelwn82

Wow. It's a good thing to watch the emissions but why are they so damn extreme. Oh well it's still an AWESOME state no matter what anybody says. ussmileyflag

15. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

if your putting in a stock motor you shoud be fine. as long as everything works. how do they check sniffer or obd 2 port???

16. 91AK250

yeah i foundout it should be fine..they just do the OBD2 thingy...no sniffer anymore but either way it should pass no prob.