1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

60 Watts is plenty

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by FordFisherman, Dec 29, 2007.

1. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Just finished installing hide-a ways of my 2004 F350. 60 watt kit from e-bay (crimestopper I believe was the name 159.95) I read a few posts recommending the 90 watt systems but the 60 watt system is very bright; too bright in fact:dizzy:. I/m going to install a low power switch to cut it down to 30.:drinkup:

2. Eclipse

Eclipse Senior Member

FWIW - Most times I see people only talk wattage without taking into account the number of outlets. You have to consider the wattage/outlet. If you have a 4 outlet 60 watt kit you would have the same light output as a 6 outlet 90 watt kit.

3. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

If you use 6 strobes with the 90watt kit then yes it will be the same as the 4 outlet 60 watt pack. I only use 4 heads on the 90watt pack for 22.5 watts. During the day, you cant even notice the 60watt packs.

4. FordFisherman

from 06611

This 60 watt kit came with 15 watt ultra-brite bulbs-- Its vey bright during the day; I havent't used them at night yet...

5. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I'll stick with my 90watts

6. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I agree, 90watts !

Can strobes be to bright?? :)

7. FordFisherman

from 06611

If your out plowing for an extended period of time I could see where the backflash off the blade could be too bright; But for safety I agree that strobes can't be too bright.To plow one of my lots I need to back out onto a busy road; thats why I installed them. Not suggesting that anybody switch to 60 from 90:dizzy:, but this particular strobe kit with 15 watt ultra brite bulbs is surprisingly bright. And no I don't work for the company, just trying to get the word out to other plow contractors of what I think is a pretty good deal. That is the purpose of this site, to help and inform others, right?

8. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I'm not trying to say your wrong or anything.

Its all about what you want / like..

Thanks for the input

9. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

The act does not go unapriciated. I looked at this before I bought the same set from e-bay. I have the same thing where I don't need strobes most of the time, but when I have to back out on to 4 lane highways, it would be nice. Thanks for all of your input!

10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Put mine in today. Not to bad overall... except hiding all the wires. I installed the control box under my cup holders under the center console. They are pretty bright!

No complains here!

11. FordFisherman

from 06611

Good Deal!!:drinkup::drinkup:

12. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

The Ultimate test for the strobes will be to have someone with a Seizure Disorder stand infront of the truck at night and turn them on... If they have a Seizure they're too bright!

13. FordFisherman

from 06611

Ummm....ok.....:confused: Let me know how that turns out.....